- First, fry the bacon until crispy in a pan and then let cool on a paper towel. Once cooled, chop into small cubes.
- Heat up the oven to 220°C. Sift the flour and bicarbonate of soda into a mixing bowl. Rub in the butter until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Add in your cooled bacon and grated cheese.
- Dig a little well in the centre and pour in the buttermilk and beaten egg. With a tablespoon, quickly but gently stir in the liquid until it’s soft but not sticky.
- Dust down your work surface with some flour. Turn the dough out and pat into a circle about 2.5cm (1in) thick.
- With a cutter or sharp knife, carve up the dough into 5 cm (2in) shapes.
- Pop the scones onto a nonstick baking sheet and brush the tops with the beaten egg.
- Bake for 10 - 15 minutes until they rise to a delicious shade of golden brown.
- Leave to cool for at least 10 minutes on a wire rack, then serve up with butter curls.
Want More Ideas?
Follow Kerrygold on Instagram
Great shortbread never goes unnoticed. The quintessential buttery biscuit deserv...
Rory O’Connell’s French Onion Soup with Thyme Leaves and Gruyère Toasts
Begin by peeling the onions and slicing them thinly. Melt...
This ultimate sprinkles birthday cake with buttercream frosting is simply a drea...
Granola and Banana Breakfast Bars
Preheat the oven to 180c and line a baking tray wi...
Chicken and Mushroom Pie
Method Preheat the oven to 200C/ Gas 6. Heat the o...
Rory O’Connell’s Arborio Rice and Coconut Pudding
Place all the ingredients for the compote into a small saucepan. Brin...