- First, fry the bacon until crispy in a pan and then let cool on a paper towel. Once cooled, chop into small cubes.
- Heat up the oven to 220°C. Sift the flour and bicarbonate of soda into a mixing bowl. Rub in the butter until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Add in your cooled bacon and grated cheese.
- Dig a little well in the centre and pour in the buttermilk and beaten egg. With a tablespoon, quickly but gently stir in the liquid until it’s soft but not sticky.
- Dust down your work surface with some flour. Turn the dough out and pat into a circle about 2.5cm (1in) thick.
- With a cutter or sharp knife, carve up the dough into 5 cm (2in) shapes.
- Pop the scones onto a nonstick baking sheet and brush the tops with the beaten egg.
- Bake for 10 - 15 minutes until they rise to a delicious shade of golden brown.
- Leave to cool for at least 10 minutes on a wire rack, then serve up with butter curls.
Want More Ideas?
Follow Kerrygold on Instagram
Crab Tian with brown soda bread & cherry tomatoes
A seafood starter that sets the tone at dinner parties. Find the freshest white...
Irish Oat Flapjacks
What a delectable culinary comfort. Delicious hot or cold, you can whip up these...