- First, fry the bacon until crispy in a pan and then let cool on a paper towel. Once cooled, chop into small cubes.
- Heat up the oven to 220°C. Sift the flour and bicarbonate of soda into a mixing bowl. Rub in the butter until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Add in your cooled bacon and grated cheese.
- Dig a little well in the centre and pour in the buttermilk and beaten egg. With a tablespoon, quickly but gently stir in the liquid until it’s soft but not sticky.
- Dust down your work surface with some flour. Turn the dough out and pat into a circle about 2.5cm (1in) thick.
- With a cutter or sharp knife, carve up the dough into 5 cm (2in) shapes.
- Pop the scones onto a nonstick baking sheet and brush the tops with the beaten egg.
- Bake for 10 - 15 minutes until they rise to a delicious shade of golden brown.
- Leave to cool for at least 10 minutes on a wire rack, then serve up with butter curls.
Want More Ideas?
Follow Kerrygold on Instagram
Roasted Carrots with Herby Butter
A brilliant way to serve carrots on Christmas Day for large numbers as they n...
Kerrygold Christmas Turkey
The secret weapon for a deliciously moist turkey is a piece of fine cotton go...
White Christmas Cake
Preheat the oven to 160°C/325°F/Gas Mark 3. Line the t...
Chocolate Hazelnut Eclairs
Chocolate eclairs, an all-time classic with a twist - roasted hazelnuts add a lo...
Roast Pork with Apple & Blackberries
Pre-heat the oven to 220oC/425oF/Gas...
Champ and Colcannon
The humble spud. What a versatile vegetable. This recipe is an old friend that s...