- First, fry the bacon until crispy in a pan and then let cool on a paper towel. Once cooled, chop into small cubes.
- Heat up the oven to 220°C. Sift the flour and bicarbonate of soda into a mixing bowl. Rub in the butter until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Add in your cooled bacon and grated cheese.
- Dig a little well in the centre and pour in the buttermilk and beaten egg. With a tablespoon, quickly but gently stir in the liquid until it’s soft but not sticky.
- Dust down your work surface with some flour. Turn the dough out and pat into a circle about 2.5cm (1in) thick.
- With a cutter or sharp knife, carve up the dough into 5 cm (2in) shapes.
- Pop the scones onto a nonstick baking sheet and brush the tops with the beaten egg.
- Bake for 10 - 15 minutes until they rise to a delicious shade of golden brown.
- Leave to cool for at least 10 minutes on a wire rack, then serve up with butter curls.
Want More Ideas?
Follow Kerrygold on Instagram
Strawberry Victoria Sponge Cake
Home Sweet Home is all the sweeter with freshly baked Victorian sponge cake. Tra...
Rory O’Connell’s Nougatine Biscuits
Rory O'Connell's nougatine biscuits are delicate, brittle and melt in the mou...
Cheat Chocolate Fudge
Line a 7 inch tin or Tupperware with cling film. Set aside....
Blitz the digestives in a blender or put in a zip lock plastic bag an...
Stain Glass Window Cookies
This recipe makes 20 of Shane Smith's stain glass window cookies:...
HALLOUMI SANDWICH WITH LEMON AND HERB BUTTER
Brush the halloumi slices with a little oil and cook on a hot griddle...