- 2 lamb shanks, about 400g each
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tbsp sunflower oil
- 1 tbsp Kerrygold® Irish Creamery Butter 454g
- 1 large onion, peeled and finely diced
- 3 cloves of garlic, peeled and sliced
- 125g smoked bacon lardons
- 1 tbsp tomato purée
- 200g soup mix grains
- 500mls cider
- 1.75L chicken stock
- 1 stick of cinnamon
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- Some chopped parsley
Paul Flynn's lamb shank broth serves 6.
- Preheat the oven to 160 c.
- Heat the oil in a pan until gently smoking and season the lamb shanks with salt and pepper.
- Add the lamb shanks to the pot and colour until the meat is dark and crisp.
- Lift the shanks from the pot then carefully remove the oil from the pot.
- Wipe the pot with some kitchen towel and put it back on the hob over a gentle heat.
- Add the Kerrygold butter, onion, garlic and bacon lardons to the pot then cook for 10-15 minutes until soft and golden.
- Add the tomato purée and cook it out for a minute or two.
- Next, add the soup mix grains, followed by the cider and chicken stock and bring to a simmer.
- Return the lamb to the pot and add the cinnamon and oregano.
- Cover and cook in the oven for up to two hours, with the last half hour uncovered. The time will depend on the size of the lamb shanks. The main thing is to make sure the lamb is falling off the bone.
- Once cooked, remove the lamb and allow it to cool a little then chop into small chunks.
- Pop it back in the broth, add the parsley, season with salt and pepper and serve.
- A little bit of hot dijon mustard can be stirred in when serving to add some extra flavour.
Want More Ideas?
Follow Kerrygold on Instagram
Loaded Baked Eggs
Savour weekend brunches with this easy to prepare recipe. Method:...
Chocolate and Blueberry Cake
Preheat the oven to 180c. Grease and line two 20cm cake tins....
Batter fish with cucumber and Radish salad
For the beer batter: Put the flour together with the beer, th...
Chicken and Mushroom Pie
Method Preheat the oven to 200C/ Gas 6. Heat the o...