- Remove the stalks and place the apples in a bowl of boiling water, remove and pat dry – this rinses off the wax and helps the caramel to stick.
- Pierce the top of the apple and insert a lollipop stick in to each.
- Prepare a tray lined with parchment paper to place the apples once coated.
- To make the caramel, heat the pan and add the sugar and water over a moderate heat
- Once dissolved, stir in the vinegar, syrup and butter.
- Bring to a boil and cook without stirring until it reaches hard-crack stage (138C) – to test this take a bowl of cold water and take a tiny spoon of the boiling caramel and drop in to the water. If it hardens on impact then it is ready. This should take around 10 minutes boiling time.
- Once the toffee is ready, turn off heat and immediately dip each apple into the hot toffee, turning it around in the syrup so that each one is fully coated.
- Immediately after, dip the coated apples into a bowl of nibbed hazelnuts or other toppings of your choice to decorate.
- Leave to cool and harden before serving.
Want More Ideas?
Follow Kerrygold on Instagram
Champ and Colcannon
The humble spud. What a versatile vegetable. This recipe is an old friend that s...
Wash potatoes thoroughly. Cook in boiling salted water with cumin for...
This iconic cake is a favourite with all the family. Curious culinary spirits ca...
Kerrygold Christmas Cookies
These can be packed in cellophane bags and tied with ribbons to be given as a ni...