- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 5 chicken breasts, skin and bone removed
- 150g button mushrooms quartered
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 50g Kerrygold Pure Irish Salted Butter
- 2 tbsp plain flour, plus extra for dusting
- 300ml milk
- 200ml chicken stock
- Freshly grated nutmeg, to taste
- Freshly ground white pepper
- Pinch salt
- Small handful fresh parsley, chopped
- 500g ready-made puff pastry
- 1 free range egg, beaten
- Preheat the oven to 200C/ Gas 6.
- Heat the oil in the frying pan, add the chicken and fry until the chicken begins to turn white.
- Add the mushrooms and continue to fry until the chicken goes golden brown.
- Remove the chicken and mushrooms from the pan and set aside.
- Add the onion and garlic to the same pan and fry for 2-3 minutes or until softened.
- Remove from the heat and set aside with the chicken and mushrooms.
- Melt the butter in a saucepan, stir in the flour and cook for about three minutes, stirring constantly until it has formed a thick smooth paste (this is called a roux).
- Mix the milk and stock together in a jug, then add the nutmeg, white pepper and salt, to taste.
- Pour the liquid slowly into the flour mixture, whisking all the time until smooth.
- Simmer over a gentle heat, stirring constantly, for about five minutes or until the sauce has thickened.
- Stir in the chopped parsley and pour the sauce over the chicken and mushroom mixture. Mix well, then spoon into a pie dish and leave to completely cool.
- Roll out the pastry on the lightly floured surface until it has the thickness of a pound coin.
- Brush the edges of the pie dish with a beaten egg, lay the pastry on top, press down the edges and trim.
- Brush the top of the pie with the beaten egg and cut some leaf shapes out of the left-over pastry to decorate the top of the pie.
- Make two or three slits in the top of the pie to allow steam to escape and then bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes or until golden-brown on top.
Want More Ideas?
Follow Kerrygold on Instagram
Kerrygold Christmas Cookies
These can be packed in cellophane bags and tied with ribbons to be given as a ni...
Spiced Apple Butter Cake with Butterscotch Sauce
Method: Preheat the oven to 160°C . In a small sa...
Cheat Chocolate Fudge
Line a 7 inch tin or Tupperware with cling film. Set aside....
This recipe makes perfectly crisp gingerbread house that will have everyone g...
Champ and Colcannon
The humble spud. What a versatile vegetable. This recipe is an old friend that s...
Smoked Bacon and Pecan Brussel Sprouts with Shallot Butter
This is a great way to ensure that your brussel sprouts end up perfectly cook...