- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 5 chicken breasts, skin and bone removed
- 150g button mushrooms quartered
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 50g Kerrygold Irish Creamery Butter (454 g)
- 2 tbsp plain flour, plus extra for dusting
- 300ml milk
- 200ml chicken stock
- Freshly grated nutmeg, to taste
- Freshly ground white pepper
- Pinch salt
- Small handful fresh parsley, chopped
- 500g ready-made puff pastry
- 1 free range egg, beaten
- Preheat the oven to 200C/ Gas 6.
- Heat the oil in the frying pan, add the chicken and fry until the chicken begins to turn white.
- Add the mushrooms and continue to fry until the chicken goes golden brown.
- Remove the chicken and mushrooms from the pan and set aside.
- Add the onion and garlic to the same pan and fry for 2-3 minutes or until softened.
- Remove from the heat and set aside with the chicken and mushrooms.
- Melt the butter in a saucepan, stir in the flour and cook for about three minutes, stirring constantly until it has formed a thick smooth paste (this is called a roux).
- Mix the milk and stock together in a jug, then add the nutmeg, white pepper and salt, to taste.
- Pour the liquid slowly into the flour mixture, whisking all the time until smooth.
- Simmer over a gentle heat, stirring constantly, for about five minutes or until the sauce has thickened.
- Stir in the chopped parsley and pour the sauce over the chicken and mushroom mixture. Mix well, then spoon into a pie dish and leave to completely cool.
- Roll out the pastry on the lightly floured surface until it has the thickness of a pound coin.
- Brush the edges of the pie dish with a beaten egg, lay the pastry on top, press down the edges and trim.
- Brush the top of the pie with the beaten egg and cut some leaf shapes out of the left-over pastry to decorate the top of the pie.
- Make two or three slits in the top of the pie to allow steam to escape and then bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes or until golden-brown on top.
Want More Ideas?
Follow Kerrygold on Instagram
Garlic-Butter Fried Chicken
Melt your butter and add it to a shall...
Eton Mess No Bake Cheesecake
Eton Mess has long been a family favourite when it comes to desserts. Try our...
Roasted Carrots with Herby Butter
A brilliant way to serve carrots on Christmas Day for large numbers as they n...
ROAST CHICKEN RIGATONI With BEARNAISE KERRYGOLD BUTTER
Paul Flynn's roast chicken rigatoni serves 4. Place the shall...
Spiced Apple Butter Cake with Butterscotch Sauce
Method: Preheat the oven to 160°C . In a small sa...