- For the Gnocchi
- 1 butternut squash, halved, deseeded and cut into pieces
- 2 garlic cloves
- A handful of fresh thyme
- 2 tbsp of olive oil
- A good pinch of salt and pepper
- 1 egg
- Up to 4 tbsp of plain flour
- 100g grated parmesan
- For the Sage Butter Sauce
- 150g Kerrygold Pure Irish Salted Butter
- A handful of sage leaves
- 1 red chilli, deseeded and chopped (optional)
Heat a fan oven to 200˚c.
1. Tip the squash into a roasting tray. Toss with the garlic, thyme and olive oil, then season. Cover with foil and roast for 40 mins until soft. Leave to cool slightly.
2. When the squash is cool enough to handle, remove the flesh and use a spatula to force it through a fine sieve. Place into a clean pan and cook on a low heat for a further 30-40 minutes. The mixture will reduce and become denser.
3. Tip the butternut squash purée into a bowl, then season with the salt and pepper. Mix in the egg, flour and the parmesan. You should have a soft pliable dough so, if it’s too wet, add more flour until it’s the right consistency.
4. Take a third of the dough and, on a floured surface, roll into a long strip about the thickness of your thumb. Cut the strip into little pillows about 3cm long, then press each one gently with the back of a fork. Repeat with the remaining dough.
5. Bring a large pan of water to the boil, then drop in the gnocchi in batches. Cook until they float, then give them a minute more before scooping out and putting them in a bowl of iced water. When they’re all cooked, drain well.
6. To serve, heat a grill to high. Melt the Kerrygold butter in a large pan until sizzling, then throw in the sage (and chilli, if desired) and let sizzle for one minute before throwing in the gnocchi and tossing through. Then, tip into a heatproof dish, scatter with parmesan, flash under the grill until browned, then serve and enjoy immediately.
Butternut Squash Gnocchi with Sage Butter Sauce
Heat a fan oven to 200˚c. 1. Tip the squash into a roasting tray. To...
Grilled Peaches with Pistachio Brittle & Greek Yoghurt
Preheat the grill to high. Line a sturdy baking sheet with parchment...
Blondies with white chocolate, macadamia nuts and sea salt
Preheat the oven to 200°C top and bottom heat. Line a baking tin (ab...