Rory O’Connell’s Roast Rack of Lamb crusted with Grain Mustard, Chilli and Thyme Leaves
- 1 rack of lamb (6-7 bones)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 18g whole grain dijon mustard
- 45g yoghurt
- 3 pinches of chili flakes
- 1 tsp thyme leaves
- 1 head of garlic unpeeled, cut into 3 slices
- 1 bay leaf
- A sprig of thyme
- 125ml chicken stock
- 25g cold butter
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- Preheat the oven to 220c.
- Carefully remove excess fat and grizzle from the top of the rack of lamb. Score the remaining fat in a criss-cross pattern.
- Heat a heavy grill or sauté pan, add the olive oil and when hot place the lamb fat side down on the pan. Allow the lamb to cook to render excess fat and to colour the surface of the meat. Remove from the pan and discard any rendered fat. Allow to cool.
- Mix the mustard with the yoghurt and add half of the chilli and half of the thyme leaves. Spread this paste over the coloured surface of the cooled lamb. Sprinkle the remaining chilli and thyme over the lamb.
- Choose a shallow roasting tray that will fit the lamb snugly and add the sliced garlic, bay leaf, thyme sprigs and water. Place the lamb on top and roast for approximately 30 minutes. Remove the cooked lamb from the oven and set aside, making sure to keep the lamb warm.
- Place the roasting tray on a moderate heat and squash the garlic roughly with a wooden spoon. Scrape any caramelised meat juices on the bottom of the pan to dissolve and add the stock. Bring to a simmer and then strain through a fine sieve into a small saucepan. Taste the liquid and if you are happy with the flavour, add in the butter and swirl it gently into the simmering liquid. Taste and correct seasoning finally adding in the chopped coriander.
- Serve the lamb carved on to hot plates with the bubbling hot gravy.
Want More Ideas?
Follow Kerrygold on Instagram
spicy San Marzano tomato and butter sauce Pizza
For the pizza dough: Mix the yeast and water t...
Spiced Apple Butter Cake with Butterscotch Sauce
Method: Preheat the oven to 160°C . In a small sa...
The Tasty Toasty
Preheat the oven to 180 C fan. Begin by buttering both sid...
Rory O’Connell’s Wild Garlic Soup
Melt the butter in heavy bottomed saucepan, when it foams, add the po...
French Toast (Pain Perdu)
Whisk the egg, icing sugar and whole milk together thoroughly and pou...
SPRING ONION POTATO CAKES
Begin by boiling the potatoes until soft. Next, ma...
GRILLED PEACHES with pistachio brittle & Greek yoghurt
Preheat the grill to high. Line a sturdy baking sheet with parchment...