- Begin by peeling the onions and slicing them thinly.
- Melt the butter in a saucepan. Add the onion, thyme branches and toss well. Cook on a low heat for about 40-60 minutes with the lid off, stirring frequently - the onions should be dark and well caramelised but not burnt.
- Add the stock, season with salt and freshly ground pepper, bring to the boil and simmer for a further 5 minutes. Taste and season.
- Ladle the very hot soup into deep and hot soup bowls. Place a piece of toasted baguette generously covered with grated cheese on top of each one. Pop under the grill until the cheese melts and turns golden.
- Serve immediately and enjoy!
Want More Ideas?
Follow Kerrygold on Instagram
Herb & Chilli Butter on BBQ Prawns
Butter is one of the most versatile and widely used ingredients by chefs all ove...
Crab Tian with brown soda bread & cherry tomatoes
A seafood starter that sets the tone at dinner parties. Find the freshest white...
Kerrygold Chicken Wings
Preparation time: 15 minutes Baking time: approx. 40-55 minutes...
SPICY CHICKEN WINGS with a buttery SRIRACHA SAUCE
Preheat the oven to 230°C & heat a deep fryer (or air fryer) t...
Pear, cheddar & bacon sandwich
To poach the pears: Firstly you will need to p...