Chicken Liver PÂTÉ with Balsamic Vinegar & Capers
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 100g (4oz) (8 tbsp) Kerrygold® Irish Creamery Butter 454g
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 tsp soft thyme leaves
- 450g (1lb) chicken livers, well cleaned and trimmed
- 3 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 4 anchovy fillets, finely chopped (from a can or jar, drained)
- 1 tbsp capers, rinsed
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Rocket leaves and crostini (thin slices of French baguette baked until crisp), to serve
This chicken liver pâté is full of gutsy flavours and is a wonderful starter or you could spread on crackers and hand around as a nibble. It also freezes very well – cover tightly with clingfilm and thaw out at room temperature before using.
- Heat the oil and 25g (1oz) (2 tbsp) of the butter in a non-stick frying pan until foaming.
- Add the onion, garlic and thyme and gently fry for about 5 minutes until the onion has softened but not coloured.
- Increase the heat and add the chicken livers. Fry for 4-5 minutes, turning constantly until lightly golden but still pink in the middle.
- Tip the contents of the pan into a food processor and then return the pan to the heat.
- Add the balsamic vinegar and stir vigorously to release any juices.
- Allow to reduce by half and then tip into the food processor with the anchovy fillets, capers, parsley and seasoning, then pulse until it is almost smooth but still has a bit of texture.
- Leave the chicken liver pâté to cool completely, then spoon into individual ramekins.
- Melt the rest of the butter in a pan or in the microwave, leave to settle, then use to cover each ramekin of pâté, leaving the sediment behind.
- Cover with clingfilm and chill for at least 2 hours or overnight is best.
- Remove the chicken liver pâté ramekins from the fridge 30 minutes before you want to serve them.
- Place each ramekin on a plate and add a small pile of the rocket leaves to one side, then arrange a stack of crostini on each plate to serve.
Want More Ideas?
Follow Kerrygold on Instagram
Festive Pumpkin and Ginger Cake with Salted Caramel Icing
This cake is the perfect showstopper for the festive season....
Rory O’ Connell’s Mackerel Cakes with Spiced Tomato Oil
Rory O'Connell's Mackerel Cakes with Spiced Tomato Oil Serves...
Filo Sausage Rolls
Preheat the oven to 190c....
This recipe is made using a bread machine, howeve...
Kerrygold Christmas Cookies
These can be packed in cellophane bags and tied with ribbons to be given as a ni...
Serves Makes 15-20 cookies
Kerrygold Fish Pie
Preheat the oven to 200c and grate the raw potatoes with the larger p...