- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 100g (4oz) (8 tbsp) Kerrygold Pure Irish Salted Butter
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 tsp soft thyme leaves
- 450g (1lb) chicken livers, well cleaned and trimmed
- 3 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 4 anchovy fillets, finely chopped (from a can or jar, drained)
- 1 tbsp capers, rinsed
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Rocket leaves and crostini (thin slices of French baguette baked until crisp), to serve
This chicken liver pâté is full of gutsy flavours and is a wonderful starter or you could spread on crackers and hand around as a nibble. It also freezes very well – cover tightly with clingfilm and thaw out at room temperature before using.
- Heat the oil and 25g (1oz) (2 tbsp) of the butter in a non-stick frying pan until foaming.
- Add the onion, garlic and thyme and gently fry for about 5 minutes until the onion has softened but not coloured.
- Increase the heat and add the chicken livers. Fry for 4-5 minutes, turning constantly until lightly golden but still pink in the middle.
- Tip the contents of the pan into a food processor and then return the pan to the heat.
- Add the balsamic vinegar and stir vigorously to release any juices.
- Allow to reduce by half and then tip into the food processor with the anchovy fillets, capers, parsley and seasoning, then pulse until it is almost smooth but still has a bit of texture.
- Leave the chicken liver pâté to cool completely, then spoon into individual ramekins.
- Melt the rest of the butter in a pan or in the microwave, leave to settle, then use to cover each ramekin of pâté, leaving the sediment behind.
- Cover with clingfilm and chill for at least 2 hours or overnight is best.
- Remove the chicken liver pâté ramekins from the fridge 30 minutes before you want to serve them.
- Place each ramekin on a plate and add a small pile of the rocket leaves to one side, then arrange a stack of crostini on each plate to serve.
Want More Ideas?
Follow Kerrygold on Instagram
Perfect Rosemary Roast Potatoes
1. Preheat the oven to 200°, 400° F or Gas...
This iconic cake is a favourite with all the family. Curious culinary spirits ca...
Griddled asparagus with lemon butter sauce
Asparagus are the baby shoots of a cultivated lily plant. A delicacy with an int...
Basic Sticky Buns
In a small saucepan melt 6 tablespoons butter; pour into a 13 X 9-inc...
St. Patrick’s day themed Cupcakes
For the muffins: Preheat the oven to 180 °C and line a muffi...
Chicken Liver PÂTÉ with Balsamic Vinegar & Capers
This chicken liver pâté is full of gutsy flavours and is a wonderful star...