- 2.5 kg mussels
- 350 ml dry white wine
- 250 g peeled and finely chopped onions
- 250 g celery
- 200 g streaky bacon
- 300 g finely chopped carrots
- 2 tins of peeled tomatoes ( 400 g each)
- 3 tbsp Kerrygold® Irish Creamery Butter 454g
- 2 tbsp Pernod
- 4 sprigs of lemon thyme
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 2 bay leafs
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- Black pepper
- Wash the mussels. Discard any damaged and open mussels.
- Bring the white wine to the boil in a large shallow saucepan.
- Add the mussels, cover and steam until all the shells have opened.
- Drain, saving the mussel fond. Discard any closed mussel shells.
- Leave the remaining mussels to cool.
- Remove the mussels from their shells, cover, and place in the fridge.
- Peel the onions and chop them finely.
- Peel the garlic cloves and cut into thin slices.
- Trim the celery and cut into 1 cm cubes. Keep the lightly-coloured inner leafs to one side for use as garnish.
- Cut the bacon into fine strips
- Melt the Kerrygold Butter in a saucepan and sweat the onions, garlic, celery, carrots, and bacon for approx. three minutes, stirring the mixture frequently.
- Drain the tomatoes through a sieve, catching the juice.
- Lightly crush the tomatoes and add them to the saucepan, together with the tomato juice and the mussel fond.
- Add the cumin, bay leafs, lemon thyme and Pernod and bring to the boil.
- Reduce the heat and leave the vegetables to cook for about 15 to 20 minutes. At the end of the cooking time add the mussels to the saucepan, briefly bring to the boil, and season with salt and pepper.
- Garnish with the celery leafs and serve.
Want More Ideas?
Follow Kerrygold on Instagram
Lamb Shank Broth
Paul Flynn's lamb shank broth serves 6. Preheat the oven to 1...
Champ and Colcannon
The humble spud. What a versatile vegetable. This recipe is an old friend that s...
Chocolate and Blueberry Cake
Preheat the oven to 180c. Grease and line two 20cm cake tins....
The Tasty Toasty
Preheat the oven to 180 C fan. Begin by buttering both sid...
Easy One Tray Chicken Dinner
Looking for a quick and easy dish that will please everyone? Try these chicken f...
Lamb chops with red wine, rosemary and garlic butter
Marinated lamb chops. Tender and tasty. Bring out the best in them with rosemary...