- Preheat the oven to 220°C. Sift the flour and bicarbonate of soda into a mixing bowl. Rub in the butter until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Add in your grated cheese and stir.
- Dig a little well in the centre and pour in the buttermilk and beaten egg. With a tablespoon, quickly but gently stir in the liquid until it’s soft but not sticky.
- Dust down your work surface with some flour. Turn the dough out and pat into a circle about 2.5cm thick.
- With a cutter or sharp knife, carve up the dough into 5 cm shapes.
- Pop the scones onto a nonstick baking sheet and brush the tops with the beaten egg.
- Bake for 10 - 15 minutes until they rise to a delicious shade of golden brown.
- Leave to cool for at least 10 minutes on a wire rack, then serve up with Kerrygold!
Want More Ideas?
Follow Kerrygold on Instagram
Champ and Colcannon
The humble spud. What a versatile vegetable. This recipe is an old friend that s...
Pear, cheddar & bacon sandwich
To poach the pears: Firstly you will need to p...
Rory O’Connell’s Piquante Beetroot
This recipe by Rory O'Connell demonstrates a great way to serve beetroot as a...
Mini Lemon Curd Cheesecakes
A perfect make-ahead dessert, prepare it in advance and pop it in the fridge....
Farmette’s Farmhouse Tres Leches Cake
This recipe was created by our friend, Imen McDonnell (...