- 500ml maize meal (use your measuring jug to measure by volume)
- 250ml cake flour or plain flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 3 eggs
- 100g melted Kerrygold Pure Irish Unsalted Butter
- 250ml sour cream
- 2 roasted red peppers, cut into strips
- 200g pepperoni or salami, roughly chopped
- 100g (1 cup) grated mozzarella
- 100g (1 cup) grated Kerrygold Cheddar Cheese
- 100g feta cheese, crumbled
- 2 red onions, very finely sliced into rings
It’s lovely to serve a freshly baked homemade bread with braais or if you’re entertaining. Beer bread and garlic bread are probably two of the most popular, easy to make and delicious. But what if we could combine mielie meal, another favourite braai side dish, with pizza toppings?
Pizza and mielie meal are both beloved foods, so why not create a new favourite dish? You can add your favourite pizza toppings to the basic bread recipe: mushrooms, olives, bacon, sundried tomatoes, artichokes, wilted spinach – just not pineapple!
You can use two cake tins to imitate the round shape of a pizza, or a large rectangular baking tray to make one large pizza bread. This is a really fun dish to share with family and friends.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C. Grease and line a 20cm round cake tin.
- Sift all the dry ingredients into a large mixing bowl.
- In a separate bowl, thoroughly mix the eggs, melted butter and sour cream and add to the dry ingredients. Before stirring, add half the peppers, half the pepperoni or salami, half the mozzarella, half the cheddar and half the feta cheese. Mix until completely combined, but don’t over mix. It will look lumpy and that’s fine.
- Pour the batter into the tin. Sprinkle over the remaining peppers, pepperoni or salami, mozzarella, cheddar and feta cheese. Arrange the red onion rings on top and press down lightly.
- Bake for 40–50 minutes, until an inserted skewer comes out clean.
- Allow to cool in the tin for 5–10 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack to cool.
Want More Ideas?
Follow Kerrygold on Instagram
The stuff of legends, ciabatta or panettone can’t touch traditional Irish soda...
Witch Chocolate Cupcakes
These wickedly delicious cupcakes are sure to get everyone into the Halloween sp...
Chicken, Spinach and Pesto Wrap
Place wrap on chopping board. Spread pesto on a wrap with the back of a spoo...
Salted Caramel Sauce
To make the caramel sauce, place the butter, sugar, and golden syrup into a sauc...
Heart Tart with Raspberry Cream
For the Dough Mix the flour together with the egg, butter and vanilla...