- 275g (10 oz) (2 cups) fresh rhubarb stalks, trimmed and cut into chunks
- 225g (8 oz) (2 cups) large juicy strawberries, hulled and quartered
- 275g (10 oz) (1 ½ cups) caster sugar
- 1 piece of stem ginger in syrup, drained and finely chopped
- 175g (6 oz) (1 cup) plain flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 175g (6 oz) (12 tbsp) at room temperature Kerrygold Pure Irish Salted Butter
- 3 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Warm custard, to serve
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F), Gas Mark 4. Mix the rhubarb and strawberries in a 23cm (9 in) deep-dish pie plate and trickle 100g (4 oz) (½ cup) of sugar over the fruit. If you like ginger, now’s the time to add it.
- Sift the flour into a bowl with baking powder. In a separate bowl, whisk the remaining sugar and butter together with a hand held blender until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs and vanilla extract and then fold in the flour mixture.
- Spread the cake mixture over the fruit and bake in the oven for 40 minutes. Take a sneaky peep and if the sponge has risen nicely and turned a golden hue, it should be ready. To be sure, do the skewer test.
- Serve with great big dollops of custard and watch it disappear.
Want More Ideas?
Follow Kerrygold on Instagram
Caesar Salad with Chicken Breast and Cheddar
Start by cutting the bread into slices, then roughly dice. Press on the garl...
Chicken Liver Pâté with Balsamic Vinegar & Capers
This chicken liver pâté is full of gutsy flavours and is a wonderful starter...
Easy, delicious, simple, and the next hit for...
The sublime supper favourite, homemade apple tart evokes childhood memories of g...
Roasted Leg of Lamb with Roasted Hasselback Potatoes
Recipe by: Thabitha Makwakwa (@thabitha_chef) For the Roast Lamb...
Recipe by: Thabitha Makwakwa (@thabitha_chef) 1. Sift all dr...