Lemon Drizzle Squares
Serves 24 squares
- 250g (9 oz) (1 ½ cups) self-raising flour
- 1tsp baking powder
- 225g (8 oz) (1 cup plus 2 tbsp) caster sugar
- 225g (8 oz) (16 tbsp) at room temperature Kerrygold Pure Irish Salted Butter
- 4 eggs
- Finely grated rind of 2 lemons
- 3 tbsp milk
For the lemon icing
- 200g (7 oz) (1 cup) icing sugar
- Finely grated rind and juice of 1 lemon
Tried, tested and perfected, this recipe is in the oven in five minutes flat. Just as well because lemon drizzle squares would test anyone’s patience.
- Preheat the oven to 160°C (325°F), Gas Mark 3 and line a 23cm x 30cm (9in x 12in) baking tin with parchment paper.
- Sift the flour, baking powder and caster sugar into a large mixing bowl. With a spoon, make a well in the centre and add the butter, eggs, lemon rind and milk. Beat with a handheld mixer for a few minutes until it is well and truly mixed.
- With the help of a spatula, transfer the mixture to your prepared tin and spread evenly. Bake in the oven for 30-35 minutes until well risen and golden brown. Leave in the tin to settle for a few minutes. Then transfer to a wire rack and let it cool.
- Meanwhile you can crack on with the lemon icing. Sift the icing sugar into a bowl and add the lemon rind and juice. There’s nothing like fresh lemons to make your tastebuds tango. Spread the icing generously over the top of the cooled lemon cake. If you possess the will power, leave it to set at room temperature for 1 hour and then cut up into squares.
- Ideal for teatime or pudding, you can serve solo or with raspberries and a dollop of crème fraîche. Go on, the chef deserves a second slice!
Want More Ideas?
Follow Kerrygold on Instagram
Oreo Cream Doughnuts
Recipe by JSomething...
Farmette’s Farmhouse Tres Leches Cake
This recipe was created by our friend, Imen McDonnell (...
Serves one 8-inch layer cake
Buttered Roast Chicken
Recipe by Bibby's Kitch...
1. Take the puff pastry out of the refrigerator and let it come to room temperat...
Sweet Potatoes with Roasted Chickpeas
1. Preheat the oven to 200°C top/bottom heat. 2. Prick the sweet pot...
Why not give your mornings a boost and try Bulletproof Coffee laced with Kerr...
Smoked Haddock Chowder
Get ready to chow down with this delicious smoked haddock chowder, best served w...