For the Mash
- 4 potatoes, boiled
- 1 tbsp Kerrygold Original Irish Butter
- 1/4 cup milk
- Fine salt & white pepper
For the Batter
- Mash (see above)
- 4 potatoes, grated
- 2.5 cups flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp pepper
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp onion powder
- 500ml buttermilk
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup melted Kerrygold Original Irish Butter
- 100g Kerrygold Vintage Cheddar
- Sour cream
1. Peel and dice 4 potatoes until soft. Add the Kerrygold butter, milk, salt and pepper, then use a potato masher to combine all the ingredients. Set aside.
2. Peel and grate the other 4 potatoes. Place in a cheesecloth and squeeze to get rid of all the liquid.
3. In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, salt, pepper, garlic powder, and onion powder. Give it a whisk while adding the buttermilk, egg, Kerrygold butter and Kerrygold Vintage Cheddar and, finally, both the mash and grated potatoes.
4. Combine well then let the batter rest for 20 minutes.
5. Drop a small ladleful (about 1/4 cup) at a time into an oiled non-stick pan over medium/low heat. Cook for about 7 minutes a side until golden, then flip and cook for a further 7 minutes on the other side. Use a large pan to make a few at the same time. Keep them warm in the oven while finishing off the batch.
6. It is important not to have your pan too hot, the boxty needs to cook slowly over medium/low heat.
7. Traditionally served for breakfast, so feel free to add bacon and eggs to these! Stack them and serve with a dollop of sour cream and chives. Enjoy!
Want More Ideas?
Follow Kerrygold on Instagram
Brownies with Chocolate Cream & Walnuts
For the Chocolate Cream 1. Chop the couverture and place it in a bowl....
Bacon and Cheddar Potato Soup
Peel the potatoes and onion and cut both into cubes. Now cut the bacon into stri...
Ratatouille Pesto Pasta Bake
Wholewheat pasta is a very easy, healthy swap to make for regular pasta. Wholewh...
This Rhubab-Crème is perfect for any event! Preparation:...