I spent my childhood in frequent visits to my relatives in Durban and Newcastle and I have fond memories of eating with my family – both then and now. At every gathering, whether social, religious or a family meal shared at a relative’s home, it was marked by the introduction of sojee, a traditional Indian semolina-based dessert that cradles all the comfort in the world in just one bite. On cold or rainy days, my mother would often make a small pot of sojee– a rich, buttery semolina dessert made with cardamom, cinnamon and slivered almonds. The smell of the semolina browning in butter is heady and welcoming; an instant reminder of my mother’s kitchen and every occasion spent in celebration with family and friends.
- In a pot, add your butter and allow to melt. Toss in your cinnamon, cardamom pods and sultanas. Add the semolina and allow to braise till golden in colour.
- Take the pot off the heat and add in your water and mix well.
- While the pot is still off the heat, mix together your egg and milk in a jug with a fork till well beaten.
- When the contents of the pot are cool enough, pour in the egg mixture slowly and mix continuously till well combined.
- Put your pot back onto low heat and add in coconut.
- Raise the temperature to medium heat and add saffron.
- Continue mixing your sojee until it thickens and becomes semi-dry in texture. Add in your sugar at this stage and taste to adjust to your liking.
- Add in cream and mix through.
- Leave on low heat and mix occasionally to avoid sticking.
- Add in 1 tsp cardamom powder (or to taste) for extra flavour.
- Serve hot and garnish with chopped pistachios and almonds.
Want More Ideas?
Follow Kerrygold on Instagram
Slow Roasted Lamb Shank in Garlic Herb Butter, Cider and Orange
Recipe by John Burger of FLAVA Restaurant Preheat...
This recipe is for an authentic Spanish tortilla. Once it has cooked it should b...
Shepherd’s Pie with Cheesy Mash
Here's our take on this classic dinner dish, perfect for chilly evenings spent w...
Crab Tian with brown soda bread & cherry tomatoes
A seafood starter that sets the tone at dinner parties. Find the freshest white...