For the Samp & Beans
- 1 cup samp
- 1 cup beans
- 3-4 cups water
For the Curry
- 2 tbsp Kerrygold Original Irish Butter
- Drop of canola oil, to prevent butter from burning
- 1 onion, chopped finely
- 1 tsp ginger garlic paste
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 green chillies, chopped
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 2-3 tsp masala or chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp garam masala
- 50g tomato paste
- 1/2 cup water
For the Boerewors
- 500g boerewors
- 1/4 cup water
- Kerrygold Mature Cheddar Cheese
1. Soak the samp and beans overnight or for at least 2 hours. Rinse well, cover with 3-4 cups water and boil for 1 hour or until soft and tender but not mushy.
2. In a pot, heat the butter and add the cinnamon stick and bay leaf. Fry until fragrant.
3. Add the onion and fry until golden brown. Add the ginger-garlic paste and the green chillies and saute for 1 minute until the raw smell from the ginger paste disappears.
4. Add the cumin, coriander, masala/chilli powder, turmeric and garam masala and a few drops of water and allow the spices to cook for 1 minute.
5. Drain any excess water from the samp and beans and add it together with the tomato paste. Cook for a couple of minutes and add the water. You may require more water depending on how saucy you prefer the samp and beans. Season with salt and simmer for 15-20 minutes.
6. Whilst the samp and beans are cooking, place the boerewors in a pan. Add 1/4 cup of water, cover and allow to simmer for 10-12 minutes. Remove the lid and allow the excess water to evaporate. Fry until it is golden brown.
7. Place the samp in an ovenproof dish. Place the boerewors on top. Sprinkle some Kerrygold Mature Cheddar over the top and turn on the grill function and place in the oven until the cheese has melted.
8. Serve hot, in bowls, with some chakalaka if you wish.
- This recipe was tested at a high altitude, therefore cooking times and amount of liquid can vary if you live at sea level.
- You can use canned samp and beans if you prefer.
- The chillies can be left out if you prefer less spicy food.
Want More Ideas?
Follow Kerrygold on Instagram
Irish Cabbage Soup with Bacon by Shane McMahon
Place the bacon in a large saucepan and heat over medium heat to melt the fat un...
Gingerbread with Glaze
For the Gingerbread Put the butter, sugar and honey in a saucepan and...
Kerrygold Cheddar, Bacon, and Green Onion Waffles
There's nothing like a perfectly cooked waffle to start or finish the day off ri...
Spinach & Mushroom Puff Pastry Parcels
Recipe by: Vanessa Vermaak (@my_homemade_kitchen_za) For...
Heirloom Tomato Cheddar Tart
Celebrate the bounty of summer produce when you layer pesto, white cheddar chees...
Ratatouille Pesto Pasta Bake
Wholewheat pasta is a very easy, healthy swap to make for regular pasta. Wholewh...