- For the sponge:
- 350g self-raising flour
- 30g cocoa powder
- 375g caster sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 375g Kerrygold Softer Butter
- 6 eggs
- For the icing:
- 250g Kerrygold Unsalted Butter
- 450g icing sugar
- 50g cocoa powder
- For the top:
- 200g dark chocolate, melted
- freeze dried raspberries
- Pre-heat the oven to 180c and grease and line 2 cake tins.
- Mix all the sponge ingredients together in a stand mixer until you have a smooth batter. Share out evenly into the cake tins and pop in the oven for 30 minutes. Be sure to check the cakes and give them a further 10 minutes if needed. Remove from the oven and leave to cool on a cake rack.
- In the stand mixer, add the icing ingredients and whisk well for a luscious smooth chocolate icing.
- For the chocolate shards, line a thin tray and pour over melted dark chocolate. Spread the chocolate nice and thin, and leave to set for breaking into shards later.
- Now, it is time to build the cake! Slice each cake through the middle so you have 4 discs.
- Pop the bottom cake on a serving plate and smooth on some buttercream, repeating this step until you have a stack.
- Now, smooth a thin layer of icing over the whole cake then leave this to set for 15 minutes. Once the first layer is set, smooth over the rest of the icing, using your palette knife to create swirls. By doing this in two steps, you prevent your icing from having any crumbs in.
- Sprinkle the freeze dried raspberries around the edge of the cake, remembering to place some on the sides. Break the dark chocolate into shards and arrange on the top of the cake for decoration.
Spaghetti with Kale Pesto
1. Bring two saucepans of water up to a boil with a pinch of sea salt...
Kerrygold Shortbread Easter Egg Biscuits
1. Preheat the oven to 180C/160C Fan/Gas Mark 4 2. Rub butter and sug...
Spring Vegetable Risotto
1. In a heavy bottomed pan, heat half of the butter and the olive oil over a...