- 175g Strong white flour
- 175g Plain flour
- 2 x 7g sachets instant yeast
- 1tsp castor sugar
- 350ml warm milk
- 150-200ml warm water
- ½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1 tsp salt
- Vegetable oil for cooking
- Add the flours into a mixing bowl along with the yeast and mix through.
- Dissolve the sugar in the warm milk and pour onto the flour.
- Using a wooden spoon, beat until you have a smooth batter.
- Cover and let stand for 20-25 minutes (or up to one hour).
- Mix the bicarbonate of soda and salt with the warm water and beat it into the batter. Add about ¾ of the water and keep adding it until you get a double cream consistency. Cover and rest for 20 minutes.
- Grease a griddle/heavy-based pan and heat over a medium-low heat. Drop two dessert spoons of the batter into greased crumpet rings. Reduce the heat to low, covering the pan and leaving to cook.
- After 4-5 minutes bubbles should appear and the surface should be set. Carefully turn the crumpets in their rings and cook for a further three minutes.
- Serve immediately or leave to cool and then toast before eating with plenty of Kerrygold Butter!
Chestnut and Mushroom Pie
Preheat the oven to 200°C. Add 250g strong plain flour an...