- 150g self raising flour, sifted
- 200g caster sugar
- 100g Kerrygold Unsalted Butter, cubed at room temperature Kerrygold Pure Irish Unsalted Butter
- 1 large free range egg, lightly beaten
- 100ml milk
- 1 tso vanilla extract
- 30g cocoa powder
- 0.5 tsp black food gel
- Marshmallow frosting
- 100g caster sugar
- 2 egg whites
- Black writing icing, for decoration
1. Preheat the oven to 180C/160C Fan/Gas Mark 4. Line a 12 hole muffin tin with 12 cupcake cases.
2. In a mixing bowl with an electric mixer or in a stand mixer, beat together the sugar and butter until light and fluffy. Turn the speed down a little and add the egg, vanilla and if using, a little black food gel.
3. Gradually add the milk until fully incorporated. Fold in the flour and cocoa gradually, ensuring it's fully mixed before adding more, until fully incorporated.
4. Spoon the batter into the cases until about half full and bake for 20 minutes until risen and allow to cool completely in the tin.
5. For the marshmallow frosting, in a heatproof dish over a pan of simmering water, beat the egg whites and sugar with a splash of cold water using electric beaters for 15 minutes until stiff peaks. Remove from heat and continue to beat until cool.
6. Using a piping bag with a round nozzle, pipe the marshmallow frosting onto the centre of a cool cupcake until it almost reaches the edge.
7. Remove the nozzle and pipe again this time stop squeezing and lift up quickly to create a peak. Use the black writing icing icing to draw spooky faces on the ghosts.
Smoked Haddock Corn Chowder
Why not try Clodagh McKenna's fantastic Smoked Haddock Corn Chowder recipe?...
1. Place a large pan of water on to boil while you start your filling....
Chargrilled Chicken Skewers with Avocado, Coriander and Lime Butter
1. In a large bowl, add the chicken, spices, oil, lime juice and season gener...
Blueberry Pancake Stack
In a mixing bowl, whisk the eggs and milk together. Gradually add the...