- 7g instant yeast, dissolved in 50ml of warm water until bubbly
- 2 tbsp granulated sugar
- 200ml tepid water
- 100g Kerrygold Salted Butter, soft at room temperature
- 1 large free range egg
- 500g strong white bread flour
- Pinch of salt
- For the Chocolate Filling:
- 80g roasted hazelnuts, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp cocoa powder
- 2 tbsp soft brown sugar
- 40g Kerrygold Salted Butter, melted
- 1 large free range egg, beaten
1. In a stand mixer with a dough hook attachment, add the bread flour, butter, egg, sugar and salt. Start to mix.
2. Pour in the bubbly yeast mixture and gradually add the water until it starts to come together into a ball, you may not need
to use all of the water.
3. Once it has come together, leave the dough to knead on high for 4-5 minutes, until a smooth elastic dough is formed.
Transfer to an oiled bowl, cover with cling film and leave somewhere warm to prove until it has doubled in size.
4. For the chocolate filling, mix together the dry ingredients with the butter and set aside.
5. Preheat the oven at 210C/190C Fan/Gas Mark 6.
6. Roll the dough out into a rough rectangular shape, spread the chocolate filling over the dough leaving a 1cm gap around
7. Fold one side over into the centre third followed by the other side to close the book. Cut the dough lengthwise into three
8. To plait the challah, lay the three dough ropes next to one and other, start by pinching the three top ends together and
alternate bringing the dough strips on the left and right into the middle finally pinching together when you reach the bottom.
9. Transfer to a loaf tin lined with grease proof paper and leave to prove once again in a warm place until doubled in size.
Glaze the top with beaten egg and bake for 35-40 minutes until golden brown. Allow to cool before slicing.
Leg of Lamb with Rosemary and Irish Butter
No Easter meal is complete without a roast leg of lamb, indeed it's delicious...
Chocolate and Orange Hot Cross Bun Bake
Preheat the oven to 180c. Spread the Kerrygold butter and...