- For the Chicken:
- 4 chicken breasts
- 1 284ml pot butter milk
- 300g plain flour
- 2 tsp paprika
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- For the waffles:
- 260g plain flour
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- Pinch of salt
- 2 large eggs
- 200ml milk
- 25g Kerrygold Salted Butter, melted
- 2-3 spring onions, sliced
- 50g mature cheddar cheese, grated
- For the Butter:
- 50g Kerrygold Unsalted Butter, at room temperature
- 1 crisp rasher of streaky bacon, finely chopped into a crumb
- 1 tsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp chives, finely chopped
- Oil, for frying
1. Slice each chicken breast into four strips on the diagonal to increase surface area, ensuring there's consistent thickness so
that they'll cook at the same time.
2. Add the strips to a mixing bowl along with half of the butter milk and marinate for a minimum of two hours, or ideally
3. Mix together the butter ingredients and wrap tightly in cling film in a sausage shape twisting the ends and refrigerate.
4. To make the waffle mix start by whisking together the eggs, milk and melted butter. Gradually incorporate the flour and
bicarbonate of soda until a thick batter forms. Fold in the sliced spring onions and cheddar cheese.
5. Preheat the waffle iron, or if using a stove top, preheat the pan to a medium high heat. Use a ladle to portion the batter onto
the iron careful not to overload.
6. Cooking time will vary depending on the iron you have but 4-5 minutes is a good estimate, your looking for a deep even
golden colour. The mix should make 4-6 waffles depending on your iron size, between cooks you can pop them in a warm
oven to keep them warm and stay crisp.
7. Mix together the spices and flour and coat the chicken strips. For an extra shaggy crunchy crust, dip them back into the
remaining butter milk and coat again. In a deep fat fryer or high sided pan of vegetable oil heated to 170-180C fry the chicken
in small batches for 4-5 minutes, turning occasionally.
8. Add slices of the bacon butter to the warm waffles and top with the chicken and serve.
Spring Vegetable Risotto
1. In a heavy bottomed pan, heat half of the butter and the olive oil over a...