- For the bread:
- 350g wholemeal flour
- 200g plain flour plus extra for dusting
- 1 teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 350ml milk, plus extra for brushing
- 250ml natural yogurt
- 125g grated cheddar
- For the topping:
- ½ teaspoon pumpkin seeds
- ½ teaspoon sesame seeds
- ½ teaspoon poppy seeds
- ½ teaspoon linseeds
- ½ teaspoon sunflower seeds
- ½ teaspoon cumin seeds
- ½ teaspoon chia seeds
- ½ teaspoon mustard seeds
This Seeded Cheddar Bread from Chef Clodagh McKenna is filled with cheese and topped with eight different types of seeds. It’s the perfect served straight from the oven with Kerrygold butter.
- Pre-heat the oven to 220°C/gas mark 7.
- Sift the white flour, bicarbonate of soda and salt into a mixing bowl. Stir in the wholemeal flour, followed by the grated cheese and, with clean hands, mix until combined. Make a well in the centre of the bowl.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the yogurt and milk and slowly pour into the well of dried ingredients. Use your free hand to mix the flour into the yoghurt and milk, try and spread your fingers far apart so it resembles a trough. Make sure that there are no dry patches and that the dough is completely wet.
- Pat your hands with flour and shape the dough into one round. Place on a floured baking tray. Flour a large knife and cut a vertical cross and then a diagonal cross, which should create eight wedges (like cake slices). Make sure you only cut about two-thirds of the way through the dough.
- Using a pastry brush, brush the whole loaf with some of the milk and yogurt mixture, this will give a lovely golden colour to the bread once baked. Then sprinkle the seeds on each of the wedges. It should start to look like a flower.
- Bake for 25 minutes, then reduce the heat to 180°C/gas mark 4 for a further 25 minutes. To test whether the loaf is cooked, tap with your knuckles; it should sound hollow. Once cooked, leave to cool on a cooling rack.
Want More Ideas?
Follow Kerrygold on Instagram
Strawberry Victoria Sponge Cake
Home Sweet Home is all the sweeter with freshly baked Victorian sponge cake. Tra...
Roasted Buttery Parmesan Parsnips
Try to find nice small firm parsnips that will have a wonderful almost nutty fla...
This recipe makes perfectly crisp gingerbread house that will have everyone g...
Great shortbread never goes unnoticed. The quintessential buttery biscuit deserv...
Pancakes with Salted Caramel Sauce
Salted caramel has been popping up in recipes a lot lately, but have you ever tr...