- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 680g lamb mince
- 5 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 onions peeled & chopped
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 240ml beer or stout
- 240ml chicken or beef broth
- 150g frozen peas
- salt and pepper
- 900g red potatoes, cut into chunks
- 180ml milk
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons plus 2 tablespoons Kerrygold® Irish Creamery Butter 454g
- 1 head of cabbage, finely shredded
- 110g grated cheddar cheese
This Irish Colcannon Shepherd’s Pie is a mash up of two Irish favourites – Colcannon and Shepherd’s Pie, hearty comfort food on the menu.
- Preheat oven to 190C
- Heat oil in a large saute pan over medium heat. Add lamb and cook until no longer pink. Reserve 1 tablespoon rendered fat and drain meat. Add reserved fat back to the pan and place over medium heat. Add carrots and ⅔ of your chopped onions, stirring occasionally, until vegetables start to soften, about 5 minutes. Stir in tomato paste and cook for a minute. Stir in flour and cook for another minute.
- Add the lamb back to pan along with Worcestershire, beer and chicken broth. Bring to a low boil and cook until liquid is reduced to a thick gravy, about 15-20 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Remove from heat and stir in peas. Spread meat mixture into a casserole dish.
- Cook potatoes in boiling water about 20 minutes or until very tender; drain well and mash with skins on, adding milk and 3/4 teaspoon salt.
- While potatoes are cooking, melt 6 tablespoons butter in a large skillet. Add remaining onion; cook 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until very soft. Add cabbage; cook and stir for 5 minutes more or until very soft.
- Stir cabbage mixture and cheese into hot potatoes and season with pepper. Spread Colcannon on top of lamb mixture in a casserole dish.
- Melt remaining 2 tablespoons butter and brush evenly over Colcannon. Place casserole dish on a baking sheet and bake for 30-35 minutes or until edges bubble and potatoes start to brown. Allow to stand 10 minutes before eating.
Want More Ideas?
Follow Kerrygold on Instagram
Carrot Cake with Orange Blossom Icing
Preheat the oven to 180°C and oil and line a 13 x 23cm loaf tin with...
If you're entertaining guests this Halloween then try out these deliciously c...
Roast Tarragon Chicken with Chestnut Mushroom Risotto
spicy San Marzano tomato and butter sauce Pizza
For the pizza dough: Mix the yeast and water t...
Rory O’Connell’s Apple, Raisin and Whiskey Flan
Preheat the oven to 200c. Paint the edges and base of a 23...
BAKED PEARS with Pecans & Maple Syrup
This dessert is just perfect for a cold autumn day. It can be served with war...