- 150g (5oz) butter Kerrygold® Irish Creamery Butter 454g
- 200g (7oz) flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- a pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon Irish whiskey
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 75g (3oz) ground almonds
- 6 egg whites
- 175g (6oz) castor sugar
- 75g (3oz) sour cherries
- 110g (4oz) finely-chopped home-made candied peel, (homemade or good quality candied peel makes all the difference here)
- 18cm (1 x 7 inches) round tin with a 7.5cm (3 inches) sides
- For the White Frosting:
- 1 egg white
- 225g (8oz) granulated sugar
- 4 tablespoons water
- Preheat the oven to 160°C/325°F/Gas Mark 3.
- Line the tin with greaseproof paper.
- Cream the butter until very soft, sieve in the flour, salt and baking powder, then add the lemon juice, whiskey and ground almonds.
- Whisk the egg whites until quite stiff; add the castor sugar gradually and whisk again until stiff and smooth. Stir some of the egg white into the butter mixture and then carefully fold in the rest.
- Lastly, add the chopped peel and the halved cherries. Pour into the prepared tin and bake for 1 1/2 hours approx. Allow to cool, cover and ice the next day.
- Dissolve the sugar carefully in water and boil for 1 1/2 minutes approx. until the syrup reaches the ‘thread stage’, 106-113°C/223-236°F. It will look thick and syrupy; when a metal spoon is dipped in, the last drops of syrup will form a thin thread.
- Pour this boiling syrup over the stiffly-beaten egg white, whisking all the time. Put the bowl in a saucepan over simmering water.
- Continue to whisk over the water until white and very thick. (This can take up to 10 minutes).
- Spread quickly over the cake with a palette knife. It sets very quickly at this stage, so speed is essential.
- Decorate with Christmas decorations or crystallised violets or rose petals and angelica.
Want More Ideas?
Follow Kerrygold on Instagram
Sizzling Prawns with chilli & butter
Spice up your life with this irresistible shellfish recipe. Easy to whip up in n...
Kerrygold Christmas Fudge
Give your guests a real treat at Christmas or wrap some up and give as a thou...
Strawberry Victoria Sponge Cake
Home Sweet Home is all the sweeter with freshly baked Victorian sponge cake. Tra...
Preheat the oven to 160C Fan. Beat together the butter and su...
Farmette’s Hot Smoked Salmon Tacos
This recipe was created by our friend, Imen McDonnell (...