- 500g of fillets of mackerel
- 2 tsp green chilli (finely chopped)
- 2 cloves of garlic (peeled and crushed to a paste)
- 2 tsp fresh ginger (finely grated)
- 1 tbsp of chopped coriander leaves
- Zest of lemon
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 10g butter
- Cous-cous (to coat the cakes)
Rory O'Connell's Mackerel Cakes with Spiced Tomato Oil
- Cut 250g of the mackerel into 1 cm pieces. Place the remaining 250g in a food processor and using the pulse button, render it to a coarse puree. This takes only a matter of seconds.
- Mix the diced and pureed mackerel in a bowl with the chilli, garlic, ginger, coriander and lemon and season with salt and pepper. (Fry a tiny piece of the mixture in a pan until cooked and taste to check the seasoning.)
- Shape the mixture into 4 round neat cakes with straight sides and flat on top and bottom.
- Roll in the cous-cous to coat top, bottom and sides. The cakes can be refrigerated until later if necessary.
- Next, heat the oil and butter in a small pan until foaming and add the cakes. Reduce the heat somewhat and cook on both sides until golden in colour and firm to the touch.
- Serve the cakes on hot plates with Spiced Tomato Oil.
Want More Ideas?
Follow Kerrygold on Instagram
Farmette’s Hot Smoked Salmon Tacos
This recipe was created by our friend, Imen McDonnell (...
Chicken Pot Pie
Discover the ultimate comfort food hidden underneath a flaky buttery rough puff...
French Toast (Pain Perdu)
Whisk the egg, icing sugar and whole milk together thoroughly and pou...
Roast Pork with Apple & Blackberries
Pre-heat the oven to 220oC/425oF/Gas...
Baked Lemon & Vanilla Cheesecake
If you are looking for your signature dinner party dessert, the search is over....