For the Syrup
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 1/4 cup water
- Small piece of cinnamon stick
- 1/4 tsp ginger powder
- 1/4 tsp cream of tartar
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
For the Dough
- 2 cups flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 2 tbsp Kerrygold Original Irish Butter
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1/4 cup water, use more if needed
- Oil for frying
For the Sauce1. Add all the ingredients into a pot. Stir and allow it to come to a boil on medium heat. Reduce the heat and let it simmer on low for 10 minutes.
2. Remove from heat and allow to come to room temperature. Keep the syrup in the freezer while you prepare the dough.
For the Dough3. In a bowl, combine the dry ingredients. Rub in the butter until you have a crumbly texture.
4. Whisk together the egg, milk and water well then bind the dough using the egg, water and milk mixture. Knead it into a soft and smooth dough. Cover and allow it to rest for 15 minutes.
5. Roll the dough to the desired thickness. The thick rolled dough will result in softer koeksisters and the thinner dough will result in crispy koeksisters. Keep a moderate thickness to get crispy koeksisters that are soft in the centre and crispy on the outside.
6. Cut into long strips about 8-10cm in length. Take two strips of dough and twist them together gently. Be careful not to twist too tightly and secure at the ends. Repeat with the remaining dough and fry in medium hot oil until golden.
7. As the koeksisters are frying, remove the cold sugar syrup from the freezer and dip the warm koeksisters in the chilled syrup. Return to the freezer in between dipping to keep chilled. Sprinkle coconut and dried rose petals for garnishing and enjoy!
Want More Ideas?
Follow Kerrygold on Instagram
Irish Stove-Top Potatoes with Cheese
This is a variation on the traditional way of cooking potatoes in a cast-iron fr...
Lamb Fillet on Carrot Pasta
Preheat the oven to 120°C. Rinse the lamb fillets, pat dry and remov...
Crab Tian with brown soda bread & cherry tomatoes
A seafood starter that sets the tone at dinner parties. Find the freshest white...
Baked Aubergine with Tomato & Cheese
This is one vegetarian dish that even meat lovers will enjoy. Its origins are in...
Mediterranean Burger with Grilled Vegetables
For the Burger Buns 1. Put the flour and salt in a bo...
Queen Victoria Mini Cakes
1. Preheat the oven (160 for dark pans and 180 for light pans). 2. In...