- 1 Snoek, fresh or frozen, cleaned and butterflied as a whole fish
- 100gm apricot jam
- 100gm Kerrygold Pure Irish Salted Butter
- Zest and juice of an orange
- 2 sprigs thyme
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- Salt & coarsely ground pepper
- Lemon wedges to serve
- Chopped parsley to serve (optional)
Braaied snoek is an institution in the Western Cape. The sweetness of the basting goes perfectly with the oiliness & saltiness of the fish. The length of cooking time will depend on the size of the fish. Baste frequently and generously. Serve the remaining butter basting with the fish on the side. Snoek can also be cooked on a griddle pan. Simply cut the butterflied fish to size.
- Combine the apricot jam, butter, orange juice & zest, thyme and smoked paprika in a small pot and melt until just bubbling.
- Brush the basting liberally over the snoek and season with salt & pepper.
- Place snoek over medium heat coals or under oven on grill. This can also be cooked on a griddle pan (just cut to fit).
- Cook on each side for about 6 – 8 minutes depending on size.
- Continue to baste the snoek frequently.
- The fish will be ready after 10-15 minutes.
- Serve with lemon wedges and crusty white bread & more Kerrygold butter.
Want More Ideas?
Follow Kerrygold on Instagram
Kerrygold Sugared Pancakes with Cherries
Kaiserschmarren, or sugared pancakes with raisins, is a traditional Austrian pan...
Heirloom Tomato Cheddar Tart
Celebrate the bounty of summer produce when you layer pesto, white cheddar chees...
Pizza Bianco with Prosciutto, Nectarines, Thyme and Honey
The creamy ricotta and mature Kerrygold Cheddar with thyme create a deliciou...
Griddled asparagus with lemon butter sauce
Asparagus are the baby shoots of a cultivated lily plant. A delicacy with an int...
Place all the ingredients, except the water in a bowl, and quickly process i...
Bobotie Phyllo piles
Place the meat, onion, garlic and spices in a larger non-stock fryin...