For the cake:
- 6 tablespoons softened Kerrygold Pure Irish Unsalted Butter
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 lemon, zested and juiced
- 1 large egg, at room temperature
- 3/4 cup flour
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
For the lemon curd:
- 2 tablespoons room temperature Kerrygold Pure Irish Unsalted Butter
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 large egg + 1 egg yolk
- 1/3 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
For the frosting:
- 3/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- Preheat the oven to 180° and grease a 15cm round cake pan.
- In a medium bowl, beat together with an electric mixer the butter, sugar, lemon zest and almond extract. Beat very well, about 1-2 minutes.
- Add the egg and beat until well combined, about 15 seconds.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, salt and baking soda. Add half of this to the batter and beat lightly.
- Stir in half of the buttermilk and continue beating. Add the remaining dry ingredients and beat, then stir in the remaining buttermilk and 1 tablespoon of lemon juice.
- Scrap the batter into the pan, smoothing the top and bake for 32-25 minutes, until a skewer inserted comes out clean.
- Let cool on a wire rack in the pan. Carefully remove the cake from the pan once it has cooled and set aside.
- Meanwhile, make the lemon curd: In a small bowl, beat together with an electric mixer the butter and sugar. Beat this mixture very well, until it is light and fluffy, about 2 minutes.
- Add the whole egg, beat until combined, then add the remaining egg yolk and beat well.
- Next, slowly stream in the lemon juice while beating. The mixture may look curdled, but do not worry. Pour the mixture into a heavy-bottomed saucepan and cook over low heat while stirring continuously and scraping the sides of the pan. When the mixture coats the back of a spoon, in about 5-7 minutes, it is done. Remove from the heat, pour into a small bowl and press plastic wrap directly on the surface before placing it in the fridge to chill. (Can be made 1-2 days in advance).
- When ready to assemble, slice the cake in half horizontally. Do this on a flat surface and cut slowly to ensure both cake layers are even. Flip the cake layers over so that the bottom is now the top so that you have a flat surface to frost the cake.
- Place one half of the cake on a cake stand or desired serving plate. Top with the lemon curd. Spread it almost to the edge. Top with the remaining cake layer.
- In a medium bowl, beat the heavy cream and powdered sugar together until whipped and slightly stiff—do not over-beat. Frost the cake with this mixture. Slice and serve.
Want More Ideas?
Follow Kerrygold on Instagram
Grilled Fruit Kebabs with Passion Fruit Cream
These fruit kebabs are just wonderful cooked on the gentle embers of a barbecue...
Pavlova with Raspberries
Preheat the oven to 160°C/Gas Mark 3 and line a baking tray...
Brown Sugar Buttermilk Cream Tart
To prepare the crust: Whisk together the brown sugar,...
This ultimate sprinkles birthday cake with buttercream frosting is simply a drea...
Carrot Cake with Orange Blossom Frosting
Preheat the oven to 180°C and oil and line a 13 x 23cm loaf tin wit...
No Bake Salted Caramel Cheesecake Jars
For the biscuit base, melt the butter and crush the digestives in a...