For the cake:
- 6 tablespoons softened Kerrygold Pure Irish Unsalted Butter
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 lemon, zested and juiced
- 1 large egg, at room temperature
- 3/4 cup flour
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
For the lemon curd:
- 2 tablespoons room temperature Kerrygold Pure Irish Unsalted Butter
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 large egg + 1 egg yolk
- 1/3 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
For the frosting:
- 3/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- Preheat the oven to 180° and grease a 15cm round cake pan.
- In a medium bowl, beat together with an electric mixer the butter, sugar, lemon zest and almond extract. Beat very well, about 1-2 minutes.
- Add the egg and beat until well combined, about 15 seconds.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, salt and baking soda. Add half of this to the batter and beat lightly.
- Stir in half of the buttermilk and continue beating. Add the remaining dry ingredients and beat, then stir in the remaining buttermilk and 1 tablespoon of lemon juice.
- Scrap the batter into the pan, smoothing the top and bake for 32-25 minutes, until a skewer inserted comes out clean.
- Let cool on a wire rack in the pan. Carefully remove the cake from the pan once it has cooled and set aside.
- Meanwhile, make the lemon curd: In a small bowl, beat together with an electric mixer the butter and sugar. Beat this mixture very well, until it is light and fluffy, about 2 minutes.
- Add the whole egg, beat until combined, then add the remaining egg yolk and beat well.
- Next, slowly stream in the lemon juice while beating. The mixture may look curdled, but do not worry. Pour the mixture into a heavy-bottomed saucepan and cook over low heat while stirring continuously and scraping the sides of the pan. When the mixture coats the back of a spoon, in about 5-7 minutes, it is done. Remove from the heat, pour into a small bowl and press plastic wrap directly on the surface before placing it in the fridge to chill. (Can be made 1-2 days in advance).
- When ready to assemble, slice the cake in half horizontally. Do this on a flat surface and cut slowly to ensure both cake layers are even. Flip the cake layers over so that the bottom is now the top so that you have a flat surface to frost the cake.
- Place one half of the cake on a cake stand or desired serving plate. Top with the lemon curd. Spread it almost to the edge. Top with the remaining cake layer.
- In a medium bowl, beat the heavy cream and powdered sugar together until whipped and slightly stiff—do not over-beat. Frost the cake with this mixture. Slice and serve.
Want More Ideas?
Follow Kerrygold on Instagram
Sizzling Prawns with Chilli & Garlic
Heat the olive oil in a large frying pan with 15g of the butter. Once the bu...
Crab Tian with brown soda bread & cherry tomatoes
A seafood starter that sets the tone at dinner parties. Find the freshest white...
Healthy Oatmeal Cookies
Line baking sheets with grease-proof paper. Now sift the flour an...
Gingerbread with Glaze
For the Gingerbread Put the butter, sugar and honey in a saucepan and...
Recipe by Zorah Booley (@inthemidnightkitchen) Set your stov...