- 10 tbsp, extra for greasing Kerrygold Pure Irish Salted Butter
- 1 cup dark or milk chocolate drops
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 3 large eggs, beaten
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/3 cups plain flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1 cup sour cream
For the frosting
- 3 cups dark or milk chocolate drops
- 2½ cups icing sugar, sifted
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup (225ml) milk
- 16 tbsp Kerrygold Pure Irish Salted Butter
- Preheat the oven to 180°C, Gas mark 4. Grease 3 x 20cm sandwich tins and line with circles of greased parchment paper. Melt the chocolate in a bowl over a pan of simmering water. Leave to cool slightly.
- To make the cake, cream together the butter and sugar with an electric hand-held mixer until pale and fluffy. Gradually add the eggs, mixing well after each addition. Fold in the melted chocolate with the vanilla extract until smooth.
- In a separate bowl, sift the flour, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda and cooca powder. Fold the dry ingredients into the creamed mixture in alternative batches with the sour cream. Divide among the prepared tins; level with a palette knife and bake for about 25 minutes until the cakes are springy to the touch and a skewer inserted into the middle comes out clean. Leave to cool in the tins for 5 minutes, then turn out onto wire racks to cool completely.
- To make the frosting; melt the chocolate as before. In a separate bowl, whisk the icing sugar, vanilla and milk until smooth. Add the melted chocolate and butter and mix to combine. Set aside for about 30 minutes to thicken slightly.
- To serve, place one of the cakes on a cake stand and spread with a little of the frosting. Cover with another layer of cake and more frosting. Top with the remaining cake and lightly press all the cake layers together. Use a palette knife to spread the remaining frosting around the sides and top of the cake.
Want More Ideas?
Follow Kerrygold on Instagram
Steamed Fragrant Rice
This recipe uses basmati rice, the undisputed queen of rice. It actually triples...
If you're entertaining guests this Halloween then try out these deliciously crea...
This is a really tasty way of serving fish and one that all of the family is sur...
Kerrygold Easter Chocolate Brownies
1. Put the butter and the chocolate in a heatproof bowl and set over a pan of si...