Mediterranean Burger with Grilled Vegetables
Serves 4 burgers Prep Time 3 hours
For the Buns
- 450g spelled flour type 630
- 100g wholemeal spelled flour
- 30g yeast
- 200ml lukewarm water
- 60ml whole milk
- 30g sugar
- 10g salt
- 80g Kerrygold Original Irish Butter, room temperature
- 1 egg
For the Sesame Seed Topping
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 tbsp whole milk
- 2 tbsp sesame seeds
- 2 tbsp poppy seeds
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tbsp oregano, dried
For the Patties
- 800g ground beef
- Salt & Pepper
For the Zucchini
- 2 large zucchini
- 100ml olive oil
- 1 pinch of salt
- 4 tbsp aioli
- 100g arugula
- Kerrygold Vintage Cheddar, grated
- 2 red onions
For the Burger Buns1. Put the flour and salt in a bowl, mix and set aside. Mix the water together with the milk and the sugar, and dissolve the yeast in it.
2. Now add all the ingredients to the flour and knead into a soft dough by hand or in a food processor for 5-8 minutes. It should be soft but pull away from the edge of the bowl. If necessary, add a little more flour.
3. Cover the dough and let it rise in a warm place for about 60 minutes until it has doubled in volume.
4. Place the sesame, poppy seeds, garlic powder, and oregano in a small bowl and mix them together. Set aside.
5. Place the dough on a lightly floured work surface and knead again briefly by hand. Now cut off 8-10 pieces of dough, each weighing 100-115 g. Shape them one by one into a ball. Place the balls of dough on two baking sheets lined with parchment paper and flatten with your hands. They should be about 10-12 cm in diameter. Cover and leave to rise for another 60 minutes.
6. Preheat the oven to 200 °C top/bottom heat.
7. Mix the egg yolk with the milk, carefully brush the buns with it and then sprinkle generously with the poppy seed and sesame mixture.
8. Bake on the middle shelf for 15-20 minutes. The buns should be golden yellow.
For the Patties9. Place the ground beef in a bowl, add salt and pepper and knead by hand for 2-3 minutes. Now form 4 patties of about 200 g each. These should be slightly larger than the burger buns. set aside.
For the Zucchini10. Cut off the ends and use a sharp knife or a kitchen slicer to cut the zucchini lengthways into slices about 2-3 mm thick. Brush them with a little olive oil and fry in the contact grill or in a pan for about 4-5 minutes until soft.
11. To finish, heat the butter in a pan, fry the patties vigorously on one side, turn them over and place a slice of cheese on each. Fry until the cheese has melted. Meanwhile, cut four buns, spread with a little butter and fry in the pan with the cut side down until crispy. Peel the onion and cut it into fine rings.
12. Now spread some aioli on the lower part of the bun, top with rocket, put the meat on top, top with onions and then put the grilled vegetables on top. Put the lid on and enjoy.
TIP: Pack the remaining buns airtight immediately after they have cooled and freeze them for the next time.
Want More Ideas?
Follow Kerrygold on Instagram
Kerrygold Cinnamon Roll Cookies
Recipe by: Astrid Field (@thesweetrebellion)...
Steak Wrap with Herb Butter and Lettuce
Heat the grill to around 220°C direct and indirect heat. Salt the steak and all...
Enchiladas with Minced Meat Filling
1. Peel the onion and garlic and dice both finely. Finely dice the chilli pepper...
Kerrygold Dubliner Potato Bake
Recipe by: Natasha Marais (@dinewithtasha) 1. Preheat the o...
Kerrygold Vintage Cheddar Stuffed Bread
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C then cut the loaf of bread in horizontal and verti...
Baked Pears with Pecans & Maple Syrup
This dessert is perfect for a cold winter’s day and of course you could use ho...
Chocolate Bread and Butter Pudding
Recipe by: Lorraine Maharaj (@tamarindnthyme) Chocolate B...