- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 15g (1 tbsp) Kerrygold Pure Irish Unsalted Butter
- 675g boneless
- beef chuck or stewing steak, trimmed and cut into 4cm cubes
- 2 large onions, sliced
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 heaped tbsp plain flour
- 1 heaped tbsp Hungarian paprika, extra to garnish
- 400g (1¾ cups) canned chopped tomatoes
- 1 large red pepper, seeded and thinly sliced
- 120ml (½ cup) sour cream
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- buttered noodles, to serve
- Preheat the oven to 150°C, Gas mark 2. Heat the oil and butter in an ovenproof casserole until sizzling hot and brown the beef cubes all over in batches. Transfer to a plate with a slotted spoon while you finish the remainder.
- Reduce the heat of the casserole to medium and tip in the onions and sauté for about 5 minutes until they are pale golden in colour. Return the beef to the pan with the garlic, stirring to combine. Sprinkle over the flour and paprika and stir well to soak up all of the juices.
- Add the tomatoes to the pan and season to taste. Bring to the simmer, then cover with a lid and transfer to the oven for 2 hours. When the 2 hours are up, stir the thinly sliced pepper into the goulash, replace the lid and cook for another 30 minutes or until the beef is tender but still holding its shape nicely.
- Just before serving, stir in the sour cream to give a marbled effect and sprinkle a little more paprika on top. Serve the casserole dish straight to the table with a separate bowl of buttered noodles so that everyone can help themselves.
Want More Ideas?
Follow Kerrygold on Instagram
Carrot Cake with Orange Blossom Frosting
Preheat the oven to 180°C and oil and line a 13 x 23cm loaf tin wit...
Tagliatelle with Fried Salmon and Lemon Dill Sauce
Cook the ribbon noodles according to the instructions on the packaging....
Smoked Haddock Chowder
Get ready to chow down with this delicious smoked haddock chowder, best served w...
Kerrygold Vetkoek with Curried Mince
Recipe by: Lorraine Maharaj (@tamarindnthyme) For the...
Chocolate Pecan Brownie Trifle with Orange Blossom Cream
Recipe by Clodagh McKenna Start by making the brow...
Recipe by Landi Govender (@thetockablog) For the Doughnuts W...