- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 15g (1 tbsp) Kerrygold Pure Irish Unsalted Butter
- 675g boneless
- beef chuck or stewing steak, trimmed and cut into 4cm cubes
- 2 large onions, sliced
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 heaped tbsp plain flour
- 1 heaped tbsp Hungarian paprika, extra to garnish
- 400g (1¾ cups) canned chopped tomatoes
- 1 large red pepper, seeded and thinly sliced
- 120ml (½ cup) sour cream
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- buttered noodles, to serve
- Preheat the oven to 150°C, Gas mark 2. Heat the oil and butter in an ovenproof casserole until sizzling hot and brown the beef cubes all over in batches. Transfer to a plate with a slotted spoon while you finish the remainder.
- Reduce the heat of the casserole to medium and tip in the onions and sauté for about 5 minutes until they are pale golden in colour. Return the beef to the pan with the garlic, stirring to combine. Sprinkle over the flour and paprika and stir well to soak up all of the juices.
- Add the tomatoes to the pan and season to taste. Bring to the simmer, then cover with a lid and transfer to the oven for 2 hours. When the 2 hours are up, stir the thinly sliced pepper into the goulash, replace the lid and cook for another 30 minutes or until the beef is tender but still holding its shape nicely.
- Just before serving, stir in the sour cream to give a marbled effect and sprinkle a little more paprika on top. Serve the casserole dish straight to the table with a separate bowl of buttered noodles so that everyone can help themselves.
Want More Ideas?
Follow Kerrygold on Instagram
Butternut Squash Lasagna for Two
This isn’t your typical lasagna... It’s a...
Farmette’s Hot Smoked Salmon Tacos
This recipe was created by our friend, Imen McDonnell (...
Grilled Fruit Kebabs with Passion Fruit Cream
These fruit kebabs are just wonderful cooked on the gentle embers of a barbecue...
Vintage Cheddar Burger with Fried Onions
Cut open the burger buns and coat he two cut surfaces with soft Kerrygold bu...
Summer Pasta Bake
Recipe by Clodagh McKenna Pre-heat your oven to 22...
Ploughman’s Cheese Platter with Fig Chutney
For any cheese lover, this is the perfect lunch or snack. It is very transportab...