- 250g flour
- pinch of cayenne
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp chopped herbs (rosemary & thyme) – optional
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 150g Kerrygold Pure Irish Unsalted Butter
- 1 cup (100g) grated Kerrygold Mature Cheddar
- 1 egg yolk
- ¼ cup cold water
Cheese & onion quiche filling:
- 2 large brown onions, chopped
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 Tbsp Kerrygold Pure Irish Unsalted Butter
- 1 – 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 large free-range eggs
- ½ cup crème fraiche
- ½ cup milk
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp salt
- ¼ tsp ground white or black pepper
- 1 cup grated Kerrygold Mature Cheddar
This flavour packed quiche is made with cheese pastry because why would you not want to add more cheese to the mix? The recipe for the pastry makes a little more than required for the quiche but use whatever is leftover to make cheese straws.
- Pre heat the oven to 180C.
- You can make this by hand using a pastry cutter or in a food processor.
- Sift the flour and add this to the bowl of the food processor with the salt and cayenne and give it a 3 second mix.
- Add the rest of the ingredients except the water and process briefly until just blended. Add the cold water while the motor is running and until the mixture just comes together into dough. Tip this onto a well floured surface and knead briefly to form a ball of dough.
- Roll this out to about 3mm thick and line the base of a 25cm quiche tin (this will be a little over half the dough). Allow some of the dough to hang over the sides and then trim. It will shrink back during baking. Prick the surface area of the pastry with a fork.
- Blind bake the pastry case by scrunching up a piece of baking paper then placing this on top of the pastry. The scrunching makes it easier to reach into the corners. Fill the case with any dried bean, rice or pasta (or pastry beans if you have these) and then bake for 10 minutes. Remove from the oven and remove the paper and filling. Return the pan to the oven and bake for a further 5 – 8 minutes until it has crisped up and starts turning a golden brown.
- While the pastry is baking blind, make your filling for the quiche.
- Heat the butter and olive in a non-stick frying pan and once it starts bubbling add the onion and sauté them for about 10 minutes over a low heat and until the onions are soft but not brown. Do not caramelize them. Add the garlic and set aside
- In a bowl whisk the eggs with the crème fraiche, milk and spices.
- When the pastry comes out the oven, sprinkle ¾ of the cheese across the base then spread the onion mix on top of that. Gently our over the egg mixture and finally sprinkle the remaining cheese over the quiche. Bake for 35 minutes until golden brown and firm.
Want More Ideas?
Follow Kerrygold on Instagram
This recipe makes perfectly crisp gingerbread house that will have everyone gasp...
Cheese & Tomato Macaroni with Broccoli
This is a great option for anyone who loves macaroni and cheese without all of t...
Mussels Cooked with Cream, Chorizo, Garlic and Flat-Leaf Parsley
Recipe by Clodagh McKenna Start by prepping the mu...
Roasted Carrots in a Bag with Herby Butter
A brilliant way to serve carrots on Christmas Day for large numbers as they need...
Great shortcake never goes unnoticed. The quintessential buttery biscuit deserve...
Crab Tian with brown soda bread & cherry tomatoes
A seafood starter that sets the tone at dinner parties. Find the freshest white...