- Cube the Kerrygold Salted Butter into 1 x 1cm cubes and set aside to soften. The butter should be room temperature and soft to the touch.
- In the bowl of a food processor, add the flour, grated cheddar and black pepper. Pulse to combine. If you’re using a mixing bowl, sift the flour into a bowl, before adding the pepper and cheese.
- Add the softened butter to the bowl, taking care to distribute it evenly throughout the flour. Process on low for 10-15 seconds, or until the mixture resembles a course meal. If you’re using the bowl method, rub the butter into the flour using your fingertips.
- Using the funnel on your food processor, add the iced water, one tablespoon at a time. (One tablespoon of water might be enough to bring the dough together)
- Process for a few seconds more until the mixture starts to come together. The dough should hold together when applying pressure. For the bowl method, simply add water as needed to bring the dough together.
- Add the roughly chopped sage and pulse until incorporated or mix it into the mixture by hand.
- Turn the mixture onto a lightly floured surface, pushing it together to form a flat disc, about 1 - 2cm thick.
- Wrap the dough in cling film and refrigerate for 1 - 1½ Hours.
- Remove the cling film from the dough and divide the dough into two equal parts. Place one half between two sheets of baking paper.
- Using a rolling pin, roll out the dough to an even thickness of about 3mm.
- Use a round cookie cutter (5cm), to cut as many crackers as possible from the rolled dough. Use the press and twist method to avoid sticking. Repeat with the other half the dough or freeze it for later.
- Place the crackers onto a baking sheet, lined with baking paper. The crackers don’t need a lot of space in between them, as they do not rise or spread. Using a toothpick, prick a hole in the centre of each cracker, this will allow air to escape, ensuring an evenly baked cracker.
- Preheat your oven to 175°C. Chill the crackers in the refrigerator for 15 minutes before baking.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, until cooked and light brown in colour.
Want More Ideas?
Follow Kerrygold on Instagram
This recipe makes perfectly crisp gingerbread house that will have everyone gasp...
Pavlova with Raspberries
Preheat the oven to 160°C/Gas Mark 3 and line a baking tray...
Valentine’s Day Vanilla Sponge Cake
Recipe by: @ate.kitchen For the Sponge Cake Hearts...
Kerrygold Vetkoek with Curried Mince
Recipe by: Lorraine Maharaj (@tamarindnthyme) For the...