- For the cake
- 185g softened Kerrygold Pure Irish Salted Butter
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2/3 cup caster sugar
- 3 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1.5 cups plain flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 whole star anise
- 3 cardamom pods, crushed lightly
- For the topping
- 4 small green apples, peeled and cored
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- For the butterscotch sauce
- 1/4 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 50g Kerrygold Pure Irish Salted Butter
- 1/4 cup cream
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp scotch whisky (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 160°C .
- In a small saucepan, add the milk, star anise and cardamom pods and 2 tablespoons of water, and bring to a boil. Gently simmer for 5 minutes, and remove from heat. Leave to infuse for at least 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, place the butter, cinnamon and sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer and beat until light and creamy.
- Gradually add the eggs and beat well. Sift the flour and baking powder over the butter mixture, add the strained milk and stir until combined. Line the base of a 22cm (9 inch) spring-form tin with non-stick baking paper and spoon in the mixture.
- To make the topping, cut a row of deep slits in each apple half and arrange over the top of the cake mixture. Combine the sugar and cinnamon and sprinkle over the apples.
- Bake for 55 minutes, or until cooked when tested with a skewer.
- To make the butterscotch sauce, caramelise the brown sugar in a heavy based pot. Add the butter and whisk to combine. Slowly add the cream and salt, and bring back up to the boil, whisking constantly. Stir in whisky at the end, if desired.
- Serve cake warm with butterscotch sauce.
Want More Ideas?
Follow Kerrygold on Instagram
Smoked Haddock Chowder
Clodagh McKenna Farmhouse Recipe Method:...
Linguine with Prawns
Starring in our Memories in the Making TV advert, this simple easy dish is on...
Salmon Fillets with a garlic, herb and citrus butter
Salmon and lemon were made for each other. Add fresh garlic with some herbs and...
No Bake Salted Caramel Cheesecake Jars
For the biscuit base, melt the butter and crush the digestives in a...
Kerrygold Honey Glazed Ham
It's not a holiday feast without the Christmas ham and this recipe for a sticky...
Salmon Rillettes with pickled cucumber salad
All dishes deserve love, not just the main course. Salmon Rittetes make a ravish...