- For the cake
- 185g softened Kerrygold® Irish Creamery Butter 454g
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 150g caster sugar
- 3 large eggs, at room temperature
- 240g plain flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 120ml milk
- 2 whole star anise
- 3 cardamom pods, crushed lightly
- For the topping
- 4 small green apples, peeled and cored
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- For the butterscotch sauce
- 50g brown sugar, firmly packed
- 50g Kerrygold® Irish Creamery Butter 454g
- 60ml cream
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp scotch whisky (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 160°C .
- In a small saucepan, add the milk, star anise and cardamom pods and 2 tablespoons of water, and bring to a boil. Gently simmer for 5 minutes, and remove from heat. Leave to infuse for at least 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, place the butter, cinnamon and sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer and beat until light and creamy.
- Gradually add the eggs and beat well. Sift the flour and baking powder over the butter mixture, add the strained milk and stir until combined. Line the base of a 22cm (9 inch) spring-form tin with non-stick baking paper and spoon in the mixture.
- To make the topping, cut a row of deep slits in each apple half and arrange over the top of the cake mixture. Combine the sugar and cinnamon and sprinkle over the apples.
- Bake for 55 minutes, or until cooked when tested with a skewer.
- To make the butterscotch sauce, caramelise the brown sugar in a heavy based pot. Add the butter and whisk to combine. Slowly add the cream and salt, and bring back up to the boil, whisking constantly. Stir in whisky at the end, if desired.
- Serve cake warm with butterscotch sauce.
Want More Ideas?
Follow Kerrygold on Instagram
Irish stew hot-pot
Cold Winter evenings, a peat fire and pot of stew. This recipe is a right of pas...
Lamb chops with red wine, rosemary and garlic butter
Marinated lamb chops. Tender and tasty. Bring out the best in them with rosemary...
Rory O’ Connell’s Dried Fig, Date, Almond , Pistachio and Chocolate Cake
Rory O'Connell's delicious dried fig, date, almond, pistachio and chocolate c...
Pear, cheddar & bacon sandwich
To poach the pears: Firstly you will need to p...
Spinach and feta pie
A hit with all the family, meat-lovers and veggies will polish off this tasty pi...