- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 onions, finely diced
- 2 celery sticks, finely diced
- 2 carrots, finely diced
- 1 tsp soft fresh thyme leaves
- 450g (1lb) lean minced lamb
- 2 tsp plain flour
- 1 tsp tomato purée
- 1 tsp strong English or Dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 450ml (. pint) (2 cups) lamb or chicken stock (from a stock cube is fine)
- For the mash:
- 1kg (2.lb) potatoes, cut into chunks
- 25g (1oz) (2 tbsp) Kerrygold butter Kerrygold Naturally Softer Irish Butter
- 4 tbsp milk
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- buttered peas, to serve
- Heat the oil a large, heavy-based pan and then add the onions, celery, carrots, thyme and cook over a medium heat for about 10 minutes until the vegetables have softened and taken on a little colour, stirring occasionally.
- Add the lamb and cook until browned, breaking up any lumps with a wooden spoon. Stir in the flour with the tomato purée, mustard and Worcestershire sauce, then gradually add the stock and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat and simmer gently for about 1 hour until the lamb is meltingly tender, stirring occasionally. Transfer to a large baking dish and leave to cool.
- To make the shepherd's pie, preheat the oven to 190°C (375°F), Gas mark 5. Place the potatoes in a large pan of boiling salted water and cook for 15-20 minutes or until tender. Drain well and then return to the heat for a couple of minutes to dry out completely. Mash well and then beat in the butter and milk . Cover the lamb mixture with an even layer of the mashed potatoes. Bake for 30-40 minutes until bubbling and golden brown.
- To serve, place the shepherd's pie with buttery mash directly on the table with a bowl of peas and allow everyone to help themselves.
Want More Ideas?
Follow Kerrygold on Instagram
Lemon Drizzle Squares
Tried, tested and perfected, this recipe is in the oven in five minutes flat. Ju...
Spinach and feta pie
A hit with all the family, meat-lovers and veggies will polish off this tasty pi...
Bread & Butter Pudding
Bread and butter. Frugal but fancy. Makes you wonder why the best course is last...
SUMMER GARDEN HERB CHICKEN KIEV WITH CHEDDAR CRUMB
METHOD: Pre-heat the oven to 180c/ 350°F / gas mark 4....
Shirley Shannon’s Spicy Butter Chicken
Clodagh McKenna Farmhouse Recipe This family favourite, from the Sh...