- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 onions, finely diced
- 2 celery sticks, finely diced
- 2 carrots, finely diced
- 1 tsp soft fresh thyme leaves
- 450g lean minced lamb
- 2 tsp plain flour
- 1 tsp tomato purée
- 1 tsp strong English or Dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 450ml (2 cups) lamb or chicken stock (from a stock cube is fine)
For the cheesy mash:
- 1kg potatoes, cut into chunks
- 25g (2 tbsp) Kerrygold Pure Irish Salted Butter
- 4 tbsp milk
- 75g grated Kerrygold Cheddar
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- buttered peas, to serve
- Heat the oil a large, heavy-based pan and then add the onions, celery, carrots, thyme and cook over a medium heat for about 10 minutes until the vegetables have softened and taken on a little colour, stirring occasionally.
- Add the lamb and cook until browned, breaking up any lumps with a wooden spoon. Stir in the flour with the tomato purée, mustard and Worcestershire sauce, then gradually add the stock and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat and simmer gently for about 1 hour until the lamb is meltingly tender, stirring occasionally. Transfer to a large baking dish and leave to cool.
- To make the shepherd's pie, preheat the oven to 190°C, Gas mark 5. Place the potatoes in a large pan of boiling salted water and cook for 15-20 minutes or until tender. Drain well and then return to the heat for a couple of minutes to dry out completely. Mash well and then beat in the butter, milk and cheese. Cover the lamb mixture with an even layer of the cheesy mashed potatoes. Bake for 30-40 minutes until bubbling and golden brown.
- To serve, place the shepherd's pie with cheesy mash directly on the table with a bowl of peas and allow everyone to help themselves.
Want More Ideas?
Follow Kerrygold on Instagram
Chocolate Pecan Brownie Trifle with Orange Blossom Cream
Recipe by Clodagh McKenna Start by making the brow...
Easy, delicious, simple, and the next hit for...
Why not give your mornings a boost and try Bulletproof Coffee laced with Kerr...
Pan Seared Scallops with Lemon Caper Sauce
Don’t make reservations! Eat your special meal at home with these elegant Pan...
Sometimes the simple things hit the spot. Like homemade scones still warm from t...
Shepherd’s Pie with Cheesy Mash
Here's our take on this classic dinner dish, perfect for chilly evenings spent w...