- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 onions, finely diced
- 2 celery sticks, finely diced
- 2 carrots, finely diced
- 1 tsp soft fresh thyme leaves
- 450g lean minced lamb
- 2 tsp plain flour
- 1 tsp tomato purée
- 1 tsp strong English or Dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 450ml (2 cups) lamb or chicken stock (from a stock cube is fine)
For the cheesy mash:
- 1kg potatoes, cut into chunks
- 25g (2 tbsp) Kerrygold Pure Irish Salted Butter
- 4 tbsp milk
- 75g grated Kerrygold Cheddar
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- buttered peas, to serve
- Heat the oil a large, heavy-based pan and then add the onions, celery, carrots, thyme and cook over a medium heat for about 10 minutes until the vegetables have softened and taken on a little colour, stirring occasionally.
- Add the lamb and cook until browned, breaking up any lumps with a wooden spoon. Stir in the flour with the tomato purée, mustard and Worcestershire sauce, then gradually add the stock and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat and simmer gently for about 1 hour until the lamb is meltingly tender, stirring occasionally. Transfer to a large baking dish and leave to cool.
- To make the shepherd's pie, preheat the oven to 190°C, Gas mark 5. Place the potatoes in a large pan of boiling salted water and cook for 15-20 minutes or until tender. Drain well and then return to the heat for a couple of minutes to dry out completely. Mash well and then beat in the butter, milk and cheese. Cover the lamb mixture with an even layer of the cheesy mashed potatoes. Bake for 30-40 minutes until bubbling and golden brown.
- To serve, place the shepherd's pie with cheesy mash directly on the table with a bowl of peas and allow everyone to help themselves.
Want More Ideas?
Follow Kerrygold on Instagram
Honey Peach Pie
To prepare the crust: Combine the flour, sugar, and s...
Christmas Brownies with Cranberries and Mixed Spice
Preheat the oven to 180C. Grease and line a 30x20cm baking tin with...
Take the puff pastry out of the refrigerator and let it come to room tempera...
Butternut Squash Lasagna for Two
This isn’t your typical lasagna... It’s a...