- 50g Kerrygold Pure Irish Unsalted Butter
- 2 leeks, sliced lengthways and then into half-moons, rinsed
- 2 small carrots, diced
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- 2 small potatoes, cut into 1cm pieces
- 250ml milk
- 125ml cream
- 450g firm white fish fillets, cut into 2cm pieces
- 150g smoked cod or haddock, cut into 2cm pieces
- 150g raw shelled, veined prawns
- ¼ cup fresh chives, chopped
- 2 sheets ready rolled shortcrust pastry
- 2 sheets ready rolled puff pastry
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- Irish brown soda bread
I fell in love with seafood chowder on a wet October weekend in Doolin in the West of Ireland when I moved to here years ago. I’ve thickened the traditional soup chowder with a little flour to use as a pie filling. I use this mixture in several different ways-delish over a baked potato! You can use frozen seafood mix in the pie, as long as there is some smoked fish, which gives the pie a wonderful flavour.
- Melt butter in a large saucepan and cook the leeks, carrots and garlic for 4 minutes.
- Add the flour and stir well for 1 minute. Mix the cream and milk and gradually pour in, stirring all the time. Add the potatoes, bring to the boil then reduce to a simmer with the lid on for 8 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- Add the fish and prawns and poach for 2 minutes. Leave to cool.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C. Grease and flour 6 ramekins of 180ml capacity. Or you can use one large pie dish.
- Cut out 12cm rounds from the shortcrust pastry and press into the pan holes. Brush the edges with a little beaten egg.
- Mix the chives gently into the chowder and divide the mixture among the pastry cases.
- Cut 9cm rounds from the puff pastry and cover the chowder pies. Press the edges firmly to seal and brush the tops with the remaining egg. Cut a small slit in the lid of each pie.
- Bake for about 25 minutes. Stand in the pan for 5 minutes before serving with brown soda bread.
Want More Ideas?
Follow Kerrygold on Instagram
Sweet Potato, Bacon & Pecan Stuffing
Preheat the oven to 180°F or Gas Mark 4. Place a saucep...
Bread & Butter Pudding
Bread and butter. Frugal but fancy. Makes you wonder why the best course is last...
Minty Mushy Peas
Mushy peas are traditionally served with fish and chips but their appeal has spr...
Dill Caper Compound Butter for Fish
This is a fantastic little treasure to have in the fridge to brighten up vegetab...
Roasted Garlic Butter Dubliner Potatoes
Recipe by: Vanessa Vermaak (@my_homemade_kitchen_za)...
Kerrygold Chorizo Burger Recipe
1. Prepare the grill for approximately 200°C direct and indirect heat....