- 50g Kerrygold Pure Irish Unsalted Butter
- 2 leeks, sliced lengthways and then into half-moons, rinsed
- 2 small carrots, diced
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- 2 small potatoes, cut into 1cm pieces
- 250ml milk
- 125ml cream
- 450g firm white fish fillets, cut into 2cm pieces
- 150g smoked cod or haddock, cut into 2cm pieces
- 150g raw shelled, veined prawns
- ¼ cup fresh chives, chopped
- 2 sheets ready rolled shortcrust pastry
- 2 sheets ready rolled puff pastry
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- Irish brown soda bread
I fell in love with seafood chowder on a wet October weekend in Doolin in the West of Ireland when I moved to here years ago. I’ve thickened the traditional soup chowder with a little flour to use as a pie filling. I use this mixture in several different ways-delish over a baked potato! You can use frozen seafood mix in the pie, as long as there is some smoked fish, which gives the pie a wonderful flavour.
- Melt butter in a large saucepan and cook the leeks, carrots and garlic for 4 minutes.
- Add the flour and stir well for 1 minute. Mix the cream and milk and gradually pour in, stirring all the time. Add the potatoes, bring to the boil then reduce to a simmer with the lid on for 8 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- Add the fish and prawns and poach for 2 minutes. Leave to cool.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C. Grease and flour 6 ramekins of 180ml capacity. Or you can use one large pie dish.
- Cut out 12cm rounds from the shortcrust pastry and press into the pan holes. Brush the edges with a little beaten egg.
- Mix the chives gently into the chowder and divide the mixture among the pastry cases.
- Cut 9cm rounds from the puff pastry and cover the chowder pies. Press the edges firmly to seal and brush the tops with the remaining egg. Cut a small slit in the lid of each pie.
- Bake for about 25 minutes. Stand in the pan for 5 minutes before serving with brown soda bread.
Want More Ideas?
Follow Kerrygold on Instagram
Dubliner Artichoke Dip
Combine all ingredients and spoon the mixture into a 203ml baking dish. Bake fo...
The classic muffin. Breakfast fit for a king or a well-deserved treat at the end...
DOUBLE CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES
This is a great recipe, which gives a delicious chewy American-style cookie oozi...
Heat the olive oil in a large heavy-based frying pan and add the hak...
Spicy Butter Chicken
Recipe by Shirley Shannon This family favourite, fro...