- 75g Kerrygold Pure Irish Unsalted Butter
- 800g small pumpkin, peeled, seeded and finely diced
- 4 tbsp finely shredded fresh sage
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic gloves, crushed
- 500g (2 cups) risotto rice (carnaroli or Aborio)
- about 2.25 litres (9 cups) chicken or vegetable stock (from a stock cube is fine)
- 50g (1/2 cup) Kerrygold Mature Cheddar
- 1 tsp chopped fresh chives
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- deep-fried sage leaves, to garnish (optional)
- Heat a large heavy-based sauté pan with 25g (2 tbsp) of the butter. Add the pumpkin with the sage and mix well to combine. Season to taste and cook over a gentle heat for 8-10 minutes, stirring occasionally until the pumpkin is cooked through but still holding its shape. Transfer to a plate and set aside.
- Add 25g (2 tbsp) of the butter to the pan and then tip in the onion and garlic and cook gently for 3-4 minutes until softened, stirring occasionally. Increase the heat, stir in the rice and cook gently for 1 minute, stirring continuously, until the rice is opaque and perfumed.
- Meanwhile, pour the stock into a separate pan and bring to a gentle simmer. Add a ladleful of stock to the rice mixture and cook gently, stirring, until absorbed. Continue to add the stock a ladleful at a time, stirring frequently. Allow each stock addition to be almost completely absorbed before adding the next ladleful, until the rice is ‘al dente’ (tender with a slight bite). This should take 18 minutes but will depend on the type of rice you use.
- Carefully fold the cooked pumpkin and sage into the risotto with the rest of the butter, the cheese and chives, then season to taste. Leave to rest and swell a little more for 3 minutes.
- To serve, ladle the pumpkin and sage risotto into wide-rimmed warmed bowls and scatter with a little extra cheese and freshly ground black pepper. Garnish with the deep-fried sage leaves, if using.
Want More Ideas?
Follow Kerrygold on Instagram
Brownies with Chocolate Cream & Walnuts
For the Chocolate Cream 1. Chop the couverture and place it in a bowl....
Valentine’s Day Vanilla Sponge Cake
Recipe by: @ate.kitchen For the Sponge Cake Hearts...
Chocolate and Orange Hot Cross Bun Bake
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C. 2. Spread the Kerrygold butter and mar...
Chocolate Pecan Brownie Trifle with Orange Blossom Cream
Recipe by Clodagh McKenna Start by making the brow...
Kerrygold Butter Chicken & Prawn Curry Bunny Chow
Recipe by: Lorraine Maharaj (@tamarindnthyme) 1. Ma...