- 1 tsp saffron strands soaked in 1 tbsp boiling water
- juice of 2 limes
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed finely
- grated rind of 1 orange
- 2 tbsp natural plain yoghurt
- 1 tsp clear honey
- 675g (1½lb) boneless and skinless chicken thighs, well trimmed and cut into 4cm (1½in) pieces
- 12 small vine-ripened tomatoes
For the basting sauce:
- 50g (2oz) (4 tbsp) Kerrygold Pure Irish Unsalted Butter
- juice of 1 lime
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- flat breads and lime wedges, to serve
- Place the saffron mixture in a large bowl with the lime juice, olive oil, garlic, orange rind, yoghurt and honey and season to taste. Mix well to combine and stir in the chicken. Cover with clingfilm and put in the fridge for at least 8 hours or up to 2 days is fine.
- When the chicken has marinated prepare a charcoal barbecue or heat a griddle pan. Thread the marinated chicken pieces onto 12 metal or soaked bamboo skewers and then thread the tomatoes onto 4 separate skewers. To make the basting sauce; melt the butter in a small pan and whisk in the lime juice and season to taste.
- When the charcoals are at a medium heat – this normally takes about 30 minutes – add the chicken and tomato skewers. Alternatively a griddle pan will only take about 5 minutes to heat up. Cook for about 4 minutes on each side, basting the chicken skewers regularly with the sauce until the chicken is cooked through and lightly charred and the tomato skins are beginning to blacken and split.
- To serve, arrange the Persian chicken kebabs on warmed plates with a tomato skewer on each one. Place some flat breads alongside and add a lime wedge to each one.
Want More Ideas?
Follow Kerrygold on Instagram
Chicken and Ham Pot Pie
Recipe by Rozanne Stevens Nothing is quite...
Rhubarb & Strawberry Sponge Pudding
Dessert doesn’t need justification but if anyone asks, this recipe has two of...
Beef Rolls in Tomato Ragù
This is traditionally made every Sunday in all regions of southern Italy. The to...
Mixed Berry Crumble
Ideal for the predictably unpredictable Irish weather, this is a dessert for all...
Flatbread with Kerrygold Cheddar, Apples and Bacon
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Top the naan crust with t...
Butter Chicken Masala
Much of the unique flavour of this curry depends on using the best quality butte...