"One day after lunch at a local cafe, I made my way up to the cash register to pay the bill. “Would you like anything else?” I pointed to the large glass cookie jar next to the till. “Sure, may I have two of these gorgeous-looking granola bars, please?” “Two flapjacks for takeaway?” the clerk said. Puzzled, I shook my head. “Oh, no, the granola bars in the cookie jar.” “Those yokes? They are flapjacks,” she replied. “Wait, what? Flapjacks are pancakes in America.” With that lilting Irish irony, she said, “Well, flapjacks are flapjacks in Ireland.” “Really?” She grinned. “Really. And, sure they’ll put you in fine fettle.” Eventually I figured out that flapjacks are not flapjacks, and a “fine fettle” means good health or good humor. The three flapjacks I took home were devoured before the end of the day—a fine fettle indeed. You can experiment with your own favorite nuts, seeds, oils, fruits, and other healthy grains. Flapjacks are a versatile snack to nibble with tea, after feeding calves or taking a run, and are super fantastic for the lunchbox.”
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C).
- Butter a 9-by-13-inch (23-by-33-cm) Swiss roll pan, and line the base with parchment paper; set aside.
- Place the honey, butter, banana mash, and cinnamon in a large saucepan over low heat, stirring until the butter has melted completely.
- Combine the oats, millet, chia seeds, and salt in a large mixing bowl. Pour over the butter and honey mixture, and stir to coat the oats mixture. Pour into the prepared pan, and spread evenly to fill the pan, making sure the surface is flat. Sprinkle a small handful of millet flakes over the top.
- Bake for 25 minutes, or until golden brown. Remove from the oven while the flapjack is still slightly soft; it will harden when it cools.
- Place the pan on a wire cooling rack, cut the flapjack into squares, and leave in the pan until completely cool.
Want More Ideas?
Follow Kerrygold on Instagram
Garlic Stuffed Mushrooms with cheese
45 minutes is a long time to cook garlic but when you taste the resulting purée...
This recipe makes perfectly crisp gingerbread house that will have everyone gasp...
The classic muffin. Breakfast fit for a king or a well-deserved treat at the end...
Sheet Pan Balsamic Steak & Potatoes with Kerrygold Garlic Butter
Recipe by: Thabitha Makwakwa (@Thabitha_Chef) 1. Preheat th...
Traditional Carrot Cake
Preheat the oven to 180°C top/bottom heat and thoroughly grease a 28cm spring f...
Recipe by Zorah Booley (@inthemidnightkitchen) 1. In a large...