Sides & Nibbles
Farmette’s Milk Bread
Serves 1 loaf
- 3 cups (750 g) bread flour (plus extra for dusting)
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 5 tablespoons (75 g) Kerrygold Pure Irish Salted Butter
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2½ teaspoons (one 7-g packet) fast-acting dry yeast
- 1¼ cups (300 ml) milk
This recipe was created by our friend, Imen McDonnell (farmette.ie) and is taken from her book The Farmette Cookbook:
"Pan, barrel, cobb, bloomer, brown, batch, granary, rolled, basket, milk—all names of beautiful breads that you will find in any Irish market or bakery on any given day, and all names of breads that baffled me upon moving to Ireland. Milk bread in particular piqued my curiosity. After rooting around for a few weeks, I discovered the farm’s recipe for old-fashioned milk bread and couldn’t wait to give it a try. I adjusted some measurements, added more milk, and used bread flour instead of all-purpose, and out came the softest, whitest loaf this side of the snow-capped Alps."
- Grease a 9-inch loaf pan; set aside
- Combine the flour and salt in a large mixing bowl. Rub in the butter with your fingers until the mixture resembles coarse breadcrumbs. Stir in the sugar and dry yeast.
- Heat half of the water and all of the milk in a small saucepan over medium heat until lukewarm. Stir the warm milk into the dry ingredients. Use your hands to mix the dough until it comes away cleanly from the sides of the bowl.
- Sprinkle a clean work surface with flour, and turn out the dough. Knead for about 10 minutes, until velvety smooth and elastic. Alternatively, you can use a stand mixer fitted with the dough hook for 7 minutes. Roll the dough into an oblong shape that will fit snugly in your loaf pan.
- Put the dough in the pan, and cover loosely with plastic wrap. Put the pan in a warm, draft-free place and let rise for 30 minutes, until the dough has risen to the top of the tin.
- Preheat the oven to 450°F (220°C).
- Discard the plastic wrap, and lightly dust the top of the loaf with flour. Bake for 30 to 40 minutes, until the top of the bread is golden brown.
Want More Ideas?
Follow Kerrygold on Instagram
Caesar Salad with Chicken Breast and Cheddar
Start by cutting the bread into slices, then roughly dice. Press on the garl...
Steamed Fragrant Rice
This recipe uses basmati rice, the undisputed queen of rice. It actually triples...
Pork & Apple Burgers with Homemade Brioche Burger Buns
Recipe by: Vanessa Vermaak (@my_homemade_kitchen_za)...
Cheesy Grilled Chicken with Tomato Basil Topping
In a small bowl, whisk together 1/4 cup olive oil with lemon juice, salt, pe...
This ultimate sprinkles birthday cake with buttercream frosting is simply a drea...
Kerrygold Rainbow Cake
For the Layers 1. Grease and flour a 20cm diameter baking pan and set...
Chicken Cordon Bleu with Cheesy, Buttery Mash and a Lime Beurre Blanc Sauce
Recipe by: Imtiyaaz Hart (@imtiyaazhart) For the Beurre Blanc...