For the Hot Cross Buns
- 1/12 cup lukewarm water
- 10g instant dry yeast
- 1 tbsp castor sugar
- 3 1/2 cups bread flour
- 1 large egg
- 125g Kerrygold Original Irish Butter, room temperature
- 1 tsp fine salt
- 2 cups Kerrygold Vintage Cheddar, grated
- 50g Kerrygold Original Irish Butter, melted
- 1 garlic clove, grated
For the Crossing Paste
- 1/2 cup flour
- 3-4 tbsp water
- 1 tsp olive oil
For the Glaze
- 25g Kerrygold Original Irish Butter, melted
- 2 tbsp honey
2. Place the flour, sugar and salt in a bowl, make a well in the middle and add the egg and yeast mixture. Whisk using a fork and then begin mixing in the flour. Once the mixture comes together continue to knead with your hand until the ball forms. Remove from the bowl and knead on a lightly floured count until smooth, roughly 10 minutes. Lightly oil the bowl and place the dough back in. Cover with plastic wrap and leave in a warm place to double in size.
3. Once doubled, know the dough back and place 2/3 of the cheese in the centre of the dough and fold the dough over it. Begin to knead the dough, working the mixture into the dough until evenly distributed and incorporated.
4. Now divide the dough into 8 equal size balls, and place them in a lightly oiled baking dish (allowing space between them to rise). Cover with plastic wrap and allow to rise for a further 30 minutes until doubled in size. At this point preheat the oven to 200°C.
5. Make the paste by mixing the flour, water and olive oil together. You may need to adjust the water or flour slightly. It should be loose enough to pipe but still hold its shape once piped.
6. Place the crossing paste into a piping bag. Sprinkle the remaining cheese over the top of the buns and carefully pipe the paste crosses over each of the buns. Place the dish in the oven and bake for 20-25 minutes until risen and golden brown or hollow-sounding when tapped.
7. While the buns bake makes the glaze. Place the honey and butter in a microwaveable bowl and heat for 15-30secs to melt the honey.
8. Remove the buns from the oven and brush generously with the honey glaze. Serve slightly cooled but still warm with butter.
Want More Ideas?
Follow Kerrygold on Instagram
Chilli Butter Poached Prawns
Spice up your life with this irresistible shellfish recipe. Easy to whip up in n...
Recipe by Landi Govender (@thetockablog) For the Doughnuts W...
Strawberry Rhubarb Scones
Strawberry and rhubarb are the quintessential spring combination! Scones don...
Yellow Cupcakes with Chocolate Frosting
These classic yellow cupcakes with chocolate butter frosting are fun and easy to...
7 Veg Chilli Con Carne
This chilli recipe is a family favourite and can be made in big batches and froz...