For the cake:
- 10.5oz (300g) melted Kerrygold Pure Irish Unsalted Butter
- 10.5oz (300g) caster sugar
- 2 eggs
- 10.5oz (300g) plain flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 1 lemon, juice
- 8.5 floz (250ml) coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the frosting:
- 1 lemon, zest & juice
- 7oz (200g) softened Kerrygold Pure Irish Unsalted Butter
- 9oz (255g) icing sugar
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil
- 7oz (200g) raw coconut flakes
- Pre-heat the oven to 355°F (180°C) and lightly grease two 20cm loose bottomed sandwich tins.
- Sift the flour, bicarbonate of soda and baking powder and add the sugar to a mixing bowl or food mixer. In a separate bowl combine the eggs, coconut milk, lemon juice, coconut oil, vanilla extract and melted butter and whisk together until completely combined. Then add your wet ingredients to your dry ingredients to form the cake batter.
- Divide the mixture evenly between the two tins and level with a spatula or the back of a spoon. Bake in the oven for about 25 minutes or until well-risen and golden.
- To make the frosting combine the icing sugar, butter, lemon juice, lemon zest and coconut oil in a bowl or food mixer.
- Once the cakes are baked, leave them to cool in their tins and then remove them from their tins and cool them completely on a wire rack.
- To assemble, place one of the sponges top down, and spread with the lemon frosting to cover it. Place the other sponge with the top facing upwards and now cover the entire cake with the rest of the lemon frosting. Once the frosting has covered the entire cake, add the raw coconut flakes all over.
Want More Ideas?
Follow Kerrygold on Instagram
Rustic Raspberry Tart with Butter Crust
The buttery crust makes a luscious frame for fresh raspberries. Serve with van...
Chicken Pasta Soup and Cheesy Breadsticks
Chicken Pasta Soup Heat butter and brown pieces of chicken carcass...
Pasta Bake with Eggplant, Tomatoes, Almonds & Cheddar Crumbs
1. Pre-heat the oven to 180°C / gas mark 4 2. Place a saucepan of wa...
Pork & Apple Burgers with Homemade Brioche Burger Buns
Recipe by: Vanessa Vermaak (@my_homemade_kitchen_za)...
Hot Cross Buns with Salted Caramel Sauce
Recipe by Thabitha Makwakwa (@thabitha_chef) For the Hot Cross B...