- 450ml (2 cups) milk
- 1 small onion, roughly chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- ½ tsp black peppercorns
- 50g (4 tpsb), extra to grease Kerrygold Pure Irish Unsalted Butter
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- 100g (1 cup) Kerrygold Cheddar
- 1 cauliflower, broken into even-sized florets
- 2 tbsp toasted white breadcrumbs sea salt and freshly grated pepper
- Place the milk in a pan with the onion, bay leaf and peppercorns. Bring to scalding point (it will be steamy and small bubbles appear at the edge), then remove from the heat, cover and set aside to infuse for at least 10 and up to 30 minutes. Strain through a sieve into a jug.
- Wipe out the pan and use to melt half the butter. Stir in the flour and cook for 1 minute, stirring. Remove from the heat and gradually pour in the infused milk, whisking until smooth after each addition. Season to taste and bring to the boil, whisking constantly. Then reduce the heat and simmer gently for 5 minutes until smooth and thickened, stirring occasionally. Stir in half of the cheese until melted.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C, Gas mark 6. Place the cauliflower in a steamer set over a pan of boiling water and sprinkle over salt to taste. Cover and cook for 5-10 minutes until just tender – check by piercing a stem with a small, sharp knife.
- Spread a couple of tablespoons of the cheese sauce in the bottom of a buttered ovenproof dish, large enough to take the amount of cauliflower cheese comfortably. Tip in the cauliflower and arrange in an even layer then cover with the remaining cheese sauce. Melt the rest of the butter in a small pan or in the microwave and stir in the breadcrumbs, then fold in the rest of the cheese. Season to taste. Sprinkle over the cauliflower mixture and bake for 25-30 minutes or until bubbling and golden.
- To serve, place the cauliflower cheese straight on the table and allow everyone to help themselves.
Want More Ideas?
Follow Kerrygold on Instagram
Chocolate & Blueberry Cake
Preheat the oven to 180c. Grease and line two 20cm cake tins....
Asparagus Tarte Flambee with Cheddar
1. Prepare the Dough Crumble the yeast and dissolve i...
Halloween Monster Cookies
For the Cream Filling: 1. To do this, finely chop the couverture and p...
Traditional South African Koeksisters
Recipe by: @ataleofsauceandspice For the Sauce...
Mac & Cheese
Easy to make, classic comfort food. For those hungry for more, flavoured version...