For the crust:
- 1/3 cup (70 gm) brown sugar, packed
- 2 cups (200 gm) graham cracker crumbs
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 7 tablespoons (100 gm) Kerrygold Pure Irish Unsalted Butter
For the filling:
- 5 large (90 gm) egg yolks
- ½ cup (100 gm) brown sugar
- 2-1/2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1-3/4 cups (395 gm) heavy whipping cream
- 2/3 cup (145 gm) whole buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste
For the topping:
- 2 cups of fruit of your choice (berries, sliced stone fruit, etc)
- ½ cup blackberry or raspberry jam
- 1 tablespoon lime juice or water
To prepare the crust:Whisk together the brown sugar, graham cracker crumbs, and salt in a medium-sized bowl. Add the melted butter and stir until well combined. Press the crumbs into the bottom and sides of a 9-10” tart pan with a removable bottom. Place in the fridge to chill while you prepare the filling.
To prepare the filling:Whisk together the egg yolks, sugar, cornstarch, and salt in a medium-sized mixing bowl. Set aside. In a medium-sized saucepan, combine the heavy whipping cream, buttermilk, and vanilla bean paste. Place the pan over medium-low heat and bring to a simmer, whisking occasionally. Once gently bubbling, slowly drizzle a small amount of the hot cream mixture into the beaten egg yolk mixture, being sure to whisk all the while. Continue to add the cream and whisk until the contents of both bowls have been combined. Pour the entirety of the mixture back into the saucepan over medium-low heat and cook for about 4 minutes, constantly stirring, until thickened slightly (about the consistency of mayonnaise). Pull the pan off the heat, stir in the lemon zest, and allow to cool for about 10 minutes, stirring once every minute or so. Pour the content of the pan into the prepared pie crust and smooth the filling out. Place a sheet of plastic wrap directly on top of the pie filling and place in the fridge to chill.
To prepare the topping:Combine the jam and juice or water with a whisk. Add a little more liquid to make the topping more viscous if desired. Drizzle the “sauce” on top of pieces of sliced pie and serve with fresh fruit!
Want More Ideas?
Follow Kerrygold on Instagram
Kerrygold Seeded Cheddar Clodagh Bread
1. Preheat the oven to 220°C. 2. Sift the white flour, bicarb...
Lemon Cake with Whipped Cream Frosting
Preheat the oven to 180° and grease a 15cm round cake pan....
Leg of Lamb with Rosemary and Irish Butter
A roast leg of lamb is delicious any time of the year. Add some real Irish butte...
Flatbread with Kerrygold Cheddar, Apples and Bacon
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Top the naan crust with t...
Chocolate and Orange Hot Cross Bun Bake
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C. 2. Spread the Kerrygold butter and mar...