- 1 knob of Kerrygold Pure Irish Salted Butter
- 3 red onions peeled finely sliced
- 3 fresh rosemary
- 3 fresh thyme
- 2 fresh bay leaves
- 1 kg beef skirt, diced
- 500 g mushrooms sliced
- 2 tablespoons tomato purée
- Salt and pepper
- 300 ml good-quality dark ale
- 3 heaped tablespoons plain flour
- 750 ml beef stock
- 1 large free-range egg, beaten
- 2 tablespoons of Olive Oil
- For the pastry
- 300g plain flour, plus extra for dusting
- 200g cubed cold butter Kerrygold Pure Irish Unsalted Butter
- 125ml Cold water
- Place a large casserole pan over a medium heat. Add two tablespoons of olive oil and butter, followed by the onions and rosemary, thyme and bay leaves. Cook for about 15 minutes, or until soft stirring occasionally.
- Dice the beef and add to the pan along with the mushrooms, tomato purée and a good pinch of salt and pepper. Stir in the ale, flour and hot stock and bring to the boil, then reduce the heat to low, cover with a lid and simmer for 1 ½ hours, or until the sauce has thickened and the meat is tender.
- For the pastry. Add the flour, butter and a pinch of salt into a bowl and use your fingertips to rub the butter into the flour until it resembles coarse breadcrumbs. Stir in the cold water, gently bringing it together. Wrap the pastry in cling film and place in the fridge to cool.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C fan.
- Carefully spoon the stew into a pie dish or casserole bowl.
- Dust a clean surface with flour, then roll out the pastry so it’s roughly 1cm thick and a little larger than your pie dish. Brush the edges of the dish with a little beaten egg, then carefully unroll the pastry over the top. Trim any excess pastry and pinch the edges in so it’s neat, alternatively use a fork to crimp down the edges. Brush the top with a little more egg and place in the hot oven for 45 to 50 minutes, or until the pastry is beautifully golden.
Delicious served with creamy mashed potato and buttered greens.
Blueberry Lattice Pie
Preheat the oven to 200C/180C/Fan/Gas 5. Lightly grease a pie dish....
Festive Mince Pie Brownies
1. Preheat the oven to 180˚c and line a 20cm baking tin. 2. In a bowl...
Chargrilled Chicken Skewers with Avocado, Coriander and Lime Butter
1. In a large bowl, add the chicken, spices, oil, lime juice and season gener...