- 175ml whole milk
- 75g Kerrygold salted butter
- 25g plain flour
- Bunch of spring onions, very thinly sliced
- 350g fresh white and brown crabmeat
- 40g finely grated Parmesan
- 2 tbsp finely chopped parsley
- 3 large free-range eggs
- 150ml double cream
- For the pastry case:
- 160g chilled Kerrygold unsalted butter, cut into cubes, plus extra for greasing
- 275g plain flour
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 large free-range egg white, lightly beaten
Make the pastry case:
- Grease a 27cm, loose-bottomed fluted tart tin that is 3-4cm deep with Kerrygold butter.
- Add the flour and the salt into a bowl. Add the butter and work into the mixture until it resembles fine breadcrumbs. Stir in 3 tbsp cold water and bring together into a ball.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out the pastry and use to line the tart tin, trimming the edges. Prick the base with a fork and chill for 20 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 180c. Line the pastry case with baking paper and baking beans and cook for 15-20 minutes until the edges are golden. Remove the paper and beans and return to the oven for another 5 minutes. Brush the base of the tart case with the egg white. Return to the oven for another 4-5 minutes. Remove and set aside; lower the oven temperature.
For the tart filling:
- Melt 50g of the butter in a non-stick pan, add the flour and cook gently for 1 minute. Remove from the heat and gradually stir in 175ml milk. Return to the heat and bring to the boil, stirring, until smooth. Lower the heat and simmer very gently for a few minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, melt the remaining butter in another pan, add the spring onion and fry for 1 minute until just soft. Stir into the sauce with the saffron milk, crabmeat, parmesan, parsley and some salt and black pepper. Set aside to cool slightly.
- Mix the eggs with the cream and stir into the cooled crab mixture.
- Pour into the pastry case and bake for 30-35 minutes until set, puffed up and golden brown.
- Enjoy with some dressed salad leaves.
Banana Cake with Coconut Frosting
Preheat your oven to 325°F or Gas Mark 3 and lightly butter, flour a...
Baked Scallops with a Black Garlic, Bacon Crumb and Parsley Butter
1. Preheat the oven to 180C. 2. Start by the making the compound butte...
Kerrygold Chocolate Porter Cake
Heat the oven to 160˚ and grease and line a 6 inch-deep cake tin....