- 36-48 fresh mussels
- For the Mousse:
- 450g leeks, sliced and washed
- 300ml cream
- 3 eggs (M)
- Salt and pepper
- 20g Kerrygold® Irish Creamery Butter 454g
- For the Sauce:
- 2 egg yolks
- 110g Kerrygold® Irish Creamery Butter 454g
- 1 teaspoon of dijon mustard
- 1/2 a teaspoon of vinegar
- 1 tablespoon of mixed herbs (chopped)
Rory O'Connell's leek mousse is rich and delicious and should be served in small portions. The mussels can be replaced with shrimp or lobster. Rory also serves the mousse as a vegetable accompaniment with roast chicken and guinea fowl and firm textured fish like sole, monkfish, turbot and brill. The mousse can be prepared early in the day and cooked later. The Bretonne sauce is an excellent sauce to serve with the fish mentioned above.
- Melt the butter in a small low-sided saucepan and allow to foam.
- Add the leeks and season with salt and pepper. Cover with greaseproof paper and a tight fitting lid. Cook on a very gentle heat until the leeks are just tender.
- Drain the leeks and press off all excess liquid. Allow to cool for a few minutes and place in a blender and add the eggs and cream. Puree until smooth and taste to correct seasoning.
- Place the mousse mixture in the prepared moulds, filling the moulds to the top. When ready to cook, place the mousses in a bain marie. Half fill the bain marie with boiling water and cover tightly. Place in a moderate oven and cook for approx 20 minutes or until the mousses are just set.
- Remove from the oven and keep warm.
- Place the mussels in a clean frying pan. Cover with a lid and place on a low heat. They will gradually start to pop open. Remove the shells from the pan as soon as they open. Reserve the cooking liquid.
- When all the mussels are cooked, remove the beard and carefully remove from the shells and add to the mussel cooking liquid
- Serve the mussels while they are hot with the Bretonne sauce and mousses.
Want More Ideas?
Follow Kerrygold on Instagram
Rory O’Connell’s Leek Mousse with Mussels and Sauce Bretonne
Rory O'Connell's leek mousse is rich and delicious and should be served in sm...
Barbequed Middle Eastern Style Lamb Chops with an Irish Summer Salad
Preparation: Ideally, the night before or at least a few hour...
Mixed Berry Crumble
Ideal for the predictably unpredictable Irish weather, this is a dessert for all...
Kerrygold Christmas Cookies
These can be packed in cellophane bags and tied with ribbons to be given as a ni...
Blueberry Lattice Pie
Preheat the oven to 180C Fan & Lightly grease a pie dish....
Batter fish with cucumber and Radish salad
For the beer batter: Put the flour together with the beer, th...