- 1.2 kg piece of Pork belly, skin off, bone out
- 1 bulb of garlic, cut in half
- 1 x 3cm piece of ginger, cut into chunks
- 2 tsp Chinese five spice
- Salt and black pepper
- 200 mls water
- 2 tbs golden brown sugar
- Waterford blaas or bread rolls to serve
- For the Slaw:
- 1 bunch of spring onions, trimmed and finely chopped
- 1 large carrot, peeled and shredded
- 1 kohlrabi, peeled and shredded (you can use a large parsnip instead)
- For the dressing:
- 30 mls sunflower oil
- 2 tsps toasted sesame oil
- 1 tbs rice wine vinegar
- 2 tbs soy sauce
- 1 tsp toasted sesame seeds
- A small piece of ginger, grated
- For the Hoi Sin Mayo:
- 4 tbs Mayonnaise
- 2 tbs Hoi sin sauce
Set the oven to 160C.
- Put the pork on a roasting tray then scatter around the garlic and ginger.
- Sprinkle the five spice evenly over the pork then season liberally.
- Add the water to the tray and cover tightly.
- Put in the oven for two and a half hours until completely soft and tender, a knife should slip to it with ease.
- Remove the foil and sprinkle the sugar evenly over the top of the pork. Turn the oven up to 200deg and cook for a further fifteen minutes until the sugar has melted and formed a glaze.
- Remove from the oven, discard the garlic and ginger pieces then pull the pork apart.
- Season and keep warm.
- Mix all the ingredients for the dressing together and add to the vegetables to make the slaw.
- Mix the Mayonnaise with the Hoi sin sauce.
- To serve, cut open the rolls and spoon in some Mayonnaise.
- Fill with the pork and top with a little slaw then serve.
Want More Ideas?
Follow Kerrygold on Instagram
French Toast with Peaches and Bacon
Paul Flynn's French Toast recipe requires ripe peaches, crisp streaky bacon,...
Want to watch Jess Murphy cook these cauliflower fritters? click...
Kerrygold Carrot Cake
Preheat the oven to 180 ° C, thoroughly grease a 28 cm springform pa...
The Tasty Toasty
Preheat the oven to 180 C fan. Begin by buttering both sid...