- 225g (8 oz) (1 cup) plain flour, with a dash for dusting
- 2 tbsp icing sugar
- 100g (4 oz) (8 tbsp), diced and chilled Kerrygold® Irish Creamery Butter 454g
- 2 egg yolks
- 2-3 tbsp ice-cold water
- 900g (2lb) cooking apples
- 100g (4 oz) (½ cup) caster sugar
- ¼ tsp cinnamon
- A good pinch of ground cloves
- 1 tbsp milk
- Master the perfect pastry with luxurious Kerrygold butter. Sift the flour and icing sugar into a bowl. Work in the butter with a knife and mix in the egg yolks with just enough ice-cold water so the dough comes together. Wrap up in clingfilm and let it chill for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 190°C (375°F), Gas Mark 5. Give the work surface a light dusting of flour. Split the pastry into two portions, one a little larger than the other. Roll out the bigger bit until it’s 30cm (12in) in diameter and line a 20cm (8in) deep dish pie plate or 23cm (9in) flat pie plate, gently pressing into the corners with your thumb. Knock the sides with a round-bladed knife to give a decorative finish and place back in the fridge to chill while you prepare the apples.
- Peel, core, and slice the apples. Place in a large bowl with all but one tablespoon of the caster sugar and the cinnamon and cloves. Brush the edge of the pastry with a little milk. Mix the apple filling together, then stuff into the lined pie dish. Roll out the second piece of pastry into a circle slightly larger than the pie dish and position to cover the apples. Press the edges together to seal, then use a sharp knife to cut away any excess.
- Great pastry calls for a decorative finish. Crimp the edges of the tart with a round-bladed knife using your fingers as a guide and then roll out the pastry scraps and cut into leaf shapes. Brush with milk and stick on top of the pie and sprinkle with the rest of the sugar. Bake for 25-30 minutes, then reduce the oven temperature to 180°C (350°F), Gas Mark 4 and bake for 20-25 minutes until golden brown.
- To serve, allow the apple tart to settle for at least 5 minutes, then cut into slices and arrange on plates. In our rulebook, the chef deserves a second helping.
Want More Ideas?
Follow Kerrygold on Instagram
Gooey cheese toastie
Melt the butter in a small pot and add the flour. Whisk to...
Mini Strawberry Ombre Cake
Preheat the oven to 180C and grease a 6” round cake tin with 2" sid...
The Tasty Toasty
Preheat the oven to 180 C fan. Begin by buttering both sid...
Cheat Chocolate Fudge
Line a 7 inch tin or Tupperware with cling film. Set aside....
PAUL FLYNN’S MOROCCAN PULLED LAMB,ALMOND AND APRICOT COUS COUS
Preheat the oven to 160C Fan. Mix the butter, lemon , garlic...